The Aspiration of Samantabhadra

the indestructible way
Nicholas

Re: The Aspiration of Samantabhadra

Post by Nicholas »

Another translation with commentary:

http://kalachakranet.org/teachings/com- ... 006-A4.pdf
Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
johnny dangerous

Post by johnny dangerous »

This is great, thanks.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The Aspiration, plus more from the Avatamsaka Sutra:

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/samantabhadra.pdf
Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Not sure why this thread is in the Vajrayana area, this text is just plain Mahayana.

There is a Dzogchen text with the same title or called the Prayer of Samantabhadra.
johnny dangerous

Nicholas wrote:Not sure why this thread is in the Vajrayana area, this text is just plain Mahayana.

There is a Dzogchen text with the same title or called the Prayer of Samantabhadra.

Yes but it's practiced heavily in Vajrayana. I am unaware of non-Tibetan traditions that practice the prayer by itself, do they?

And yeah I'm familiar with the "other Samantabhadra".;)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

johnny dangerous wrote:
Nicholas wrote:Not sure why this thread is in the Vajrayana area, this text is just plain Mahayana.

Yes but it's practiced heavily in Vajrayana. I am unaware of non-Tibetan traditions that practice the prayer by itself, do they?

Sure, in China, Japan, Korea the verse section is recited alone or as part of bodhisattva practices, like the link from BuddhaNet above.
johnny dangerous

Nicholas wrote:
johnny dangerous wrote:

Sure, in China, Japan, Korea the verse section is recited alone or as part of bodhisattva practices, like the link from BuddhaNet above.
I didn't realize it was recited commonly by itself elsewhere, thanks!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This vital practice of recitation is so important to encourage altruistic, Mahayana tendencies that it is time to add another translation of these 60 or so verses.

http://www.siddharthasintent.org/assets ... rayers.pdf