DNS
Site Admin

confused Islamophobes

Post by DNS »

phpBB [video]
Nicholas

Re: confused Islamophobes

Post by Nicholas »

Funny yes, but their refusal to say "I am not a Muslim" to ignorant persons is not noble, nor loving. It allows the ignorant folk to continue to stew more in their bigotry and hatred. A simple clarifying statement would at least reduce the number of 'enemies' seen by the foolish ones.
Truth is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Well I am tempted to say Americans are very ignorant. But the hoi polloi in any country is ignorant. That being said the constant drilling of American exceptionalism into the hoi polloi's head does cause lack of awareness about other cultures.

US Presidential speeches (State of the Union and such) are dotted with references to "we are the greatest nation on earth" .. same for speeches from Presidential hopefuls and other prominent political figures from US.

Let me answer it with the help of "Newsroom" rant. (the rant starts after 4:00 and ends at 6:30 but the whole clip is worth watching and the tv series is worth watching too)

phpBB [video]

:namaste:
May the Force be with you
caodemarte

Post by caodemarte »

Nicholas wrote:Funny yes, but their refusal to say "I am not a Muslim" to ignorant persons is not noble, nor loving. It allows the ignorant folk to continue to stew more in their bigotry and hatred. A simple clarifying statement would at least reduce the number of 'enemies' seen by the foolish ones.
I doubt very much that such a statement would have any effect on bigots. Additionally, it is noble to stand with the targets of bigotry. This is why the King of Denmark wore the Star of David and why some US Christians said they would register as Muslims if a recent campaign proposal ever became real. Foreign readers should note that the proposal had no chance of realization as it would violate basic US law. Many Christians have repeatedly stood with Muslim victims of Islamaphobia (see the churches help to the recently attacked Orlando mosque in my home state) as many Muslims have stood with Christian victims of religious hatred in Muslim majority countries.