HHDL: "The Real meaning of Jihad"

Kabbalah, Sufism, Gnosticism and other forms of mysticism rooted in Christianity, Judaism, Islam
Lhamo

HHDL: "The Real meaning of Jihad"

Post by Lhamo »

I just quickly like to answer this comment by SarathW:

As far as I am concern the real issue is not what so called Buddhist, Hindus or Muslims doing.
The problem is the indoctrination.
If the scripture promote violence it is very difficult to avoid it.
Many scriptures in different religions (not only islam, but also buddhism) might be understood wrongly nowadays. The real intention might have been very diffent than the scripture reads literally.

For example the Dalai Lama claims: "The real meaning of Jihad is to fight and overcome ones inner enemies." In Buddhist view those enemies are: greed, hate and ignorance. HHDL thinks, the true islamic teaching is quite similar to that view.
Also in Vajrayana, the so-called wrathful dieties are angry against everything that hinders the dharmic progress: hate, greed, envy, arrogance, ignorance, and the 10 unwholesome deeds... They are not thirsty for blood, even if it is stated literally in the scriptures. Wrathful dieties seem to be wrathful, but they are nothing else than full of compassion.
:jedi:
ImageImageImageImage
Iconodule

Re: HHDL: "The Real meaning of Jihad"

Post by Iconodule »

I think it would be quite a stretch to say the "real" meaning of Jihad is solely this inner struggle. Obviously from the very beginning the outer part was important in Islam. Unless, I guess, you want to argue that Muhammad and his companions didn't really understand Islam but a Tibetan lama does.
The ladder that leads to the Kingdom is hidden within you, and is found in your soul. Dive into yourself, and in your soul you will discover the rungs by which you are to ascend. - St. Isaac of Syria
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Jihad means both outer and inner struggle to fulfill God's will. To put more emphasis on one over the other really tells you more about the aims of the person doing so than the religion itself.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
johnny dangerous

Post by johnny dangerous »

There are definitely plenty of suggestions of "outer Jihad" in the Koran and Hadiths, the question is how people choose to see them. David mentioned a quote in the other thread about a Muslim woman who was asked if she was "cherry picking" the peaceful parts of the Koran, and she said something like "yes, and so are those that advocate violence". Basically, all interpretation of scripture is cherry-picking to some degree.

It's nice that HHDL says that, it's a great sentiment, but he isn't any kind of expert on Islam. Like it or not, the important part is what Muslims think about those passages, not what Tibetan monks think. I imagine every time some non-Muslim wants to explain the "true meaning" of Islam, it's not something we can expect to do anything but annoy.
lobster

Post by lobster »

Iconodule wrote:I think it would be quite a stretch to say the "real" meaning of Jihad is solely this inner struggle. Obviously from the very beginning the outer part was important in Islam. Unless, I guess, you want to argue that Muhammad and his companions didn't really understand Islam but a Tibetan lama does.
Those are the only options? In some Sufi teachings only God understands God. People only submit to a god of their creation. Such Jihad is a delusion. In this sense Jihad, like enlightenment/Nirvana is not comprehensible through lama understanding or dervish companions :hug:

... and now back to the Real Meaning ...
Nicholas

Re: "The Real meaning of Jihad"

Post by Nicholas »

It is mainly in the Sufi inspired groups within Islam that the 'jihad as inner struggle' notion is emphasized. This Indonesian centered movement is an example: (By the by, this is where Obama learned his Islam):

http://www.libforall.org/programs-educa ... paign.html
Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Can some one give a passage from Koran where it mention about Jihad?

Muhammad Ali and many black American people became Muslims for the fight against colour discrimination.
That is external Jihad I suppose.
Muhammad Ali always preached that Islam as a peaceful religion and he always promote peace.
I have watched many of his videos, him talking about Islam and colour discrimination.
I have no doubt that he had many other great human qualities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtxfTEyJZg4
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

SarathW wrote:Can some one give a passage from Koran where it mention about Jihad?

Muhammad Ali and many black American people became Muslims for the fight against colour discrimination.
That is external Jihad I suppose.
Muhammad Ali always preached that Islam as a peaceful religion and he always promote peace.
I have watched many of his videos, him talking about Islam and colour discrimination.
I have no doubt that he had many other great human qualities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtxfTEyJZg4
See chapter 2:

https://www.jihadwatch.org/islam101.pdf
Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
caodemarte

Post by caodemarte »

I believe the interpretation of the word jihad as primarily meaning inner struggle is pretty standard in mainstream Islam, including Sufi orders and the Koran. HHDL's statement would then agree with the usual contemporary and historical meaning and the author of the Koran. Now, let us hear about those wrathful deities and the whole Kalachakra thing about killing Muslims.