Nightly Review

Living and practicing the Dhamma as a householder, among family and friends.
Nicholas

Nightly Review

Post by Nicholas »

Pythagoras advised aspirants to practice this, I think I have seen it in Buddhism too. Here is Swami Yogananda on this valuable nightly practice:
Each worldly person, moralist, spiritual aspirant, and yogi—like a devotee — should every night before retiring ask his intuition whether his spiritual faculties or his physical inclinations of temptation won the day's battles between good and bad habits; temperance and greed; between self-control and lust; honest desire for necessary money and inordinate craving for gold; forgiveness and anger; joy and grief; moroseness and pleasantness; kindness and cruelty; selfishness and unselfishness; understanding and jealousy; bravery and cowardice; confidence and fear; faith and doubt; humbleness and pride; desire to commune with God in meditation and the restless urge for worldly activities; spiritual and material desires; divine ecstasy and sensory perceptions; soul consciousness and egoity.
A true mind and true intent bring truth within truth. True practice and true cultivation take the truth beyond truth. True behavior and true conduct add truth to truth. In everything and every way, be true, true, true. Master Hua
Nicholas

Re: Nightly Review

Post by Nicholas »

From Golden Verses of Pythagoras, 40-44:
Never allow sleep to close your eyelids, after you went to bed,
Until you have examined all your actions of the day by your reason.
In what have I done wrong? What have I done? What have I omitted that I ought to have done?
If in this examination you find that you have done wrong, reprove yourself severely for it;
And if you have done any good, rejoice.
A true mind and true intent bring truth within truth. True practice and true cultivation take the truth beyond truth. True behavior and true conduct add truth to truth. In everything and every way, be true, true, true. Master Hua