Sri M (b. 1949)

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Nicholas

Sri M (b. 1949)

Post by Nicholas »

This is the first of 15 or so videos where this Sage talks about his life story. He begins around 2 minutes in...

Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
Nicholas

Re: Sri M (b. 1949)

Post by Nicholas »

Here is a little from chapter 3 of his Apprenticed to a Himalayan Master autobiography:
I shall start with the first of my extraordinary experiences.

No one, other than those close to me like my mother and grandmother, noticed the changes in my
personality. I began to be more introverted than I had been and my mother would often find me sitting or
standing under the jackfruit tree staring at the sky or nothing in particular. She also used to say that I
would sometimes talk in a strange language in my sleep. However, she was relieved that I no longer
suffered from that strange malady I mentioned in the first chapter – the screaming and running out of the
house in my sleep. The ghoul like creatures that used to chase me and try to grab me had vanished without
a trace from the day I met the stranger under the jackfruit tree. I would also pester my grandmother for
stories of saints and Sufis. When her stock was over, I did not mind the same stories being repeated.

I began to find great happiness while meditating at night. Many a time, I would drift into deep sleep
while meditating and have vivid and elaborate dreams. Some of these were forgotten, but some remained
deeply impressed in my mind and indicated important events that were going to take place in my spiritual
journey. One such dream occurred three months after the jackfruit-tree incident.

I dreamt of a beautiful green valley surrounded on all sides by towering, snow-clad mountains. At the
foot of one of these peaks, there was a cave. A melodious chant in a language I could not understand came
from inside the cave. Yet, it somehow sounded familiar. I moved towards the mouth of the cave and
looked within. It was a fairly large cave. In the centre of the floor was an open fireplace with orange
flames leaping from the burning logs. At the far end of the cave, on a raised platform, facing me and the
fire, sat a bearded middle-aged man with long, dark hair. The lower part of his body was covered in a
kind of brown tree bark and across his chest was slung a white girdle that looked like cotton rope.

He was leading a chant which was echoed by a number of young boys, also long haired and wearing
similar garments and girdles. The boys sat facing him and the fire in a semi-circle. Carried away by the
chant, I suddenly found myself imitating them in a loud voice.
Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Another excerpt:
[Sri M]: “Some books say that hidden away in certain parts of Tibet, there are remains of old extraterrestrial
civilizations, is that true?

Said the Tibetan yogi, “yes, there are such places, and I have myself seen such a cave
in an almost inaccessible part of Tibet. There, I have seen, well-preserved bodies of small built
humanoids, with skulls larger than ours, and a dark almost grayish complexion. However, we believe that
they are an ancient race from the earth itself, and not from some other planet or galaxy. Our teachers say
that this particular race was destroyed by a war between two rival civilizations that had both evolved to
great heights intellectually, and ignored the feelings of love and compassion totally. The way our present
civilization is progressing, one wonders what fate awaits us.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Where is the heart chakra was puzzling the boy M, so he visited a sacred forest, looking for inspiration or guidance:
The small gate was open. There were no lights inside except for an oil lamp in front of the cubical
Samadhi structure. The flame flickered in the wind. I was quite scared. Jackals howled not very far away.
There were no human beings in sight, and in the dim light, I imagined strange creatures lurking among the
trees and bushes which swayed in the wind. I sat down at the back of the Samadhi, somewhat shielded
from the wind which had suddenly begun to blow strongly. An other-worldly peace enveloped my being
as the half moon slowly came out of the clouds. I leaned against the Samadhi and soon fell asleep as I
was quite tired.

I can’t say how long I must have slept. I woke up with a start when I felt someone or something shaking
my legs violently. As I sat up my hair stood on end and I had goose bumps all over. I was petrified for
there, near me sat a creature, who can best be described as grotesque and frightening. I saw a thin, almost
skeletal, dark complexioned, naked man with large sunken eyes, long matted hair and a long beard. The
only redeeming feature was the strong smell of sweet incense that seemed to emanate from his unwashed body.

“Don’t fear,” he told me in Malayalam, tapping my shoulder with his thin, long-nailed fingers and
broke into a spell of eerie laughter showing his yellow teeth. “Who are you?” I asked emboldened by his
friendly gesture. “Me? Ha ha, nobody, no body, only smoke and vapour.” I kept silent. “So you have a
problem, yeah? Don’t know where the heart lotus is, yeah? It is everywhere, here, there, everywhere? Ha
ha, manifested in different centres for different people. No controversy.”

Then he tapped me in the middle of my chest and said, “Yours, right here, anahata, you stick to it,
Babaji’s orders.” A violet light that I had never seen before filled my heart centre. Even with my eyes
open I could feel it. Before I could respond to his words in any way, he abruptly jumped up and ran into
the darkness. I thought that, far away, a white flame leapt up from the ground or was I imagining it? That
was the last I saw of him.

My eyes still open, I enjoyed the joy of the violet glow. No more fear. Slowly, dawn vanquished the
darkness of the night. With that, the violet flame also subsided. I stood up. Not a soul in sight. I walked
nearly three kilometers. Luckily, I found a bus, alighted near the tamarind-tree bus stop, and went home.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

M or Madhu's master he called Babaji for short. Sri Guru Babaji is the Grand Master. Here is M meeting the latter for the first time in this incarnation:
Now, the third incident, I consider to be the most important one in my life. I finally got to see the
Grand Master, Sri Guru Babaji. It happened this way.

Babaji and I were walking in the forests surrounding the Neelkant hill. Far away we heard the
trumpeting of an elephant, but we were too pre-occupied to pay much attention. We were in the midst of a
heated discussion. Babaji said that some time in the future, I would be ready to give kriya yoga initiation.
Then he spelt out a list of twenty-one qualifications required of a person who wishes to be initiated into
Kriya.

I said with the qualifications he had listed out, it would be well nigh impossible to find someone fit to
receive Kriya. He said that was not true, and that I seem to have a low opinion of the character of human
beings in general. I said that an average human being would not be able to fulfill the qualifications he had
listed, and pleaded with him to cut down the list a bit. For over an hour we argued, which was quite
unusual. Finally, he cut it down to ten, and I still held on to my opinion that the first four qualifications on
the list were sufficient. I begged him to do something out of compassion for humanity.

Then, he said that times had changed, and that disciples these days teach gurus the meaning of
compassion. That was the last straw, and I burst into tears. While Babaji was trying to console me,
something wonderful happened. A lovely scent filled the air. Babaji said to me, “It’s okay. I am sorry I
hurt you. Now wipe your tears and stand up. Your wish is going to be granted.” He stood up beside me
and we both turned in the direction of the path to Neelkant. From behind the tall teak trees, emerged a
figure so beautiful, so transcendental, that my hair stood on end. I knew by instinct that it was Sri Guru
Babaji who had come to grant me darshan out of his love and compassion.

My beloved teacher fell prostrate at his blessed feet, and I followed suit. “Get up,” said a melodious
voice, “I have urgent business with you. Now Mahesh,” he said addressing my master, “I think you should
listen to Madhu. Times have changed, and I think we will shorten the list.”

“As you wish,” said my teacher.

I could not take my eyes off from the golden complexioned being standing before me, bare-bodied,
except for a shining white loin cloth that barely reached the knees, and flowing brown hair that fell to his
shoulders. He looked divine. The lovely scent that emanated from him entered my soul. He turned to me,
and as I gazed into those compassion filled eyes, my mind went back to my past lives and my connection
with him.

“Come here,” he said and put his arms around my shoulders. Then he touched my chin tenderly and
said, “Madhu, my boy, you needed to go through this life to further your evolution. However, you’ll come
back to me after doing your work. Mahesh is so kind. He is your special guide.” Tears streamed down my
face and my whole being pulsated with bliss that I had never experienced before.
Then he turned to my teacher and said, “I am grateful that you have taken this young fellow under your
wings. Mahesh, there is an important matter I would like to talk to you about. Meet me Thursday night in
the subtle body.”

He raised his hands in blessing. We once again prostrated at his feet. When we raised our faces from
the ground, he was already gone. Only the fragrant scent lingered. We walked back quietly to the cave. My
heart was still full of Sri Guru Babaji. After meditation, I went to sleep, and Babaji sat as usual in front of
the Dhuni, steady as a rock, tender as a flower.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Around 2009 or so Madhu was given his mission - to accept or not.
After settling down in my tent, I instructed our friends not to disturb me after dinner. I sat in padmasana, my attention fixed on the Ajna chakra. Blood rushed to my head and a streak of lightning shot up my spine, and within seconds, I was out of my body clothed in a blissful silvery sheath.

This new luminous I, passed swiftly through several planes where glorious beings dwelt, and reached
the wondrous realm that glowed with a silvery blue soothing light. Two large blue cobras guarded the
patio of a white crystal palace. They swung their hoods nodding to me to enter. In the central hall, on a
raised crimson couch was Mahadev, the Great Being, manifested as the Luminous Void, changing every
now and then into the resplendent form of Shiv Bholenath with the crescent moon on his head and a black
cobra around his neck, his body snow white, and his third eye looking like a blue pearl.

Beside him on either side, sat five persons: Babaji, someone who looked like a biblical prophet, a
Nath with his chimta,a bearded man with a white turban whose eyes were the most peaceful and
compassionate that I have seen, and another man with Mongolian features, matted hair tied in a knot,
twirled up moustache, and wearing a loose red robe. All of them possessed silvery luminescent bodies
like mine. The fragrance of jasmine filled the air. I prostrated many times and then sat cross-legged on the
floor.

Babaji broke the silence.
“Madhu, welcome to Kailash! This is the great Jewish master called Esa or Yesu, the Nath is none
other than Sri Gorakhnath, the one with the loving eyes is the great Nanakdev, and this one with the
moustache and red robe, the inimitable Padmasambhava, Guru Rinpoche. All of us here are the disciples
of Sri Guru Babaji who is none other than the luminous void, Adinath, Shiv Mahadev who sits on the
throne. The great Pir Sainath and the venerable Sheikh Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti also known as Garib
Nawaz could not be present here but have conveyed their love and blessings to you. Greetings and
blessings also from all the great yogis and masters like Shanker Bhagwadpad whose abode is Kailash,
and who chose to not manifest themselves here today.”
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

There is a sequel volume, 2017 - The Journey Continues; here is an excerpt:
Soon, we were sitting in front of the cave facing the Ganga. The sun had painted the sky a beautiful
pink. “Now,” said Babaji *, “Do you think that your photographer could have taken a picture without my
concurrence? No, and I’ll tell you why. Look at me now.”
I shifted my gaze from the flowing waters and looked in his direction.
“Oh!” I exclaimed loudly, surprised by what I saw. Instead of his body, all I could see was a grey,
translucent silhouette.

Babaji’s voice which now came from the shadowy outline continued. “How do you see an object?
Light falls on an object and its reflected rays fall on the lens of your eyeballs and an image is formed. It’s
the same for a camera. The light is reflected onto the camera lens and the image falls on the film.”
“Well, what if we know how to prevent the light rays from reflecting back and instead absorb them into
our bodies? A powerful mind tuned to the stillness of the Supreme Self, the core of our consciousness can
control the light rays, absorb them and not let them reflect. You would then see only a grey, translucent
outline and not the body you are familiar with. Under dimly lit conditions, you would not even see the outline.”
“That’s exactly what I am doing now. Not letting the light rays reflect. The camera would not have
captured the image, if I so desired.”

I said, “Got the message, Babaji, please reappear in the form I love to see.”
In an instant, he was back in his usual form.

“So,” I asked, “is this how yogis disappear?”
“Mostly,” said Babaji “but there is one more method where one actually disintegrates the primary
particles of the body temporarily, but only most advanced yogis can do that.”
* Babaji is what M. called his personal Guru. The famous Babaji that Yogananda wrote about, is another, greater Master.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Here are two video interviews of Sri M, one with a transcript, from a few years ago:

https://batgap.com/?s=sri+m&submit=Search
Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

Sri M is actually of muslim origin. His real name is Mumtaz Ali Khan.

In his first book, he writes that he was a Hindu yogi in his past life, who discriminated against a Muslim sufi who had come to him for instruction. Dejected by his discriminatory behavior, the Sufi left and committed suicide by jumping in a river. His Guru appeared and criticized him for the negative karma he created for himself.

In his next incarnation, the Hindu yogi came reborn as Sri M, a muslim. It is very interesting.

It shows that the soul has no religion and karma has a major role in its incarnations.

Sri M, himself was subject to discrimination based on his Muslim origin ironically. However Sri M lead a very privileged life in the sense that he was able to be in the company of great masters like the Guru mentioned, as well as Jiddu Krishnamurti and others.

I enjoyed reading his first book a lot, and hopefully he can emerge as a symbol of inter-religious unity which is badly needed these days.

I am hoping to read his second book one day . :namaste:
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yes he is a noble person and his good influence around the world is growing. Some years ago I swapped a few brief emails with him. Probably he is too famous now for that, but he does travel & speak a lot. See his YouTube channel...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Part of his meeting a Nagaraj from space...
A strange spectacle unfolded before my astounded eyes. The rumbling had stopped and there was utter
silence. The fireball, which was about two feet in diameter, split vertically into two, and out of it
emerged something that caused goose pimples all over my body. It was a large snake, with a hood like a
cobra, glowing electric blue, as if made of a transparent, violet, glass like material, with electric
filaments lit inside. The snake-like creature’s eyes glowed, and it hissed softly.

My fear vanished the moment I saw the creature bend down and touch Babaji’s feet with its hood.
Babaji blessed it by touching its head with his right hand, and then did something, which for a second,
made me wonder if what I was seeing was a silly dream, or reality. He hissed in reply.

The blue cobra straightened up and sat facing Babaji. A hissing conversation went on for quite some
time. Then Babaji said, “Madhu, come forward and see the deputy chief of the Sarpa Loka.” I moved
forward and carefully sat behind Babaji. The snake hissed. Babaji said, “Bow down to Nagaraj.” I
bowed low before the snake. At close quarters, I could see that he was quite big and had intelligent
sparkling eyes. The snake hissed and touched my head with his forked tongue. I found that I was not the
least bit frightened, although I could feel a mild electric shock passing through my body.
Then abruptly, it slithered back into the globe, the two halves of which clicked shut, and with a
rumbling sound, the globe took off and soon vanished in the clouds.