the great vegetarian debate

Nonviolent expressions of the Dharma, vegetarian debate
DNS
Site Admin

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by DNS »

Hidden meat items in processed foods:

Solution, if you're vegetarian or vegan is to try to mostly eat whole foods, not processed packaged foods.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I think we should all be eating a diet of pure Ahimsa, and practicing pure Ahimsa in every part of our lives. If everyone were doing that, the world would be a better place now. Yet the world is in a harmful condition these days, and it is difficult for even some of the most Ahimsa bearing and purest people to maintain vegeterian diets because of the evils of this world. When conditions permit, everyone should go on an animal-free diet, it is not Buddhist to enslave and kill animals for food. The world is a complicated place but if we all work together to make it better, drastic changes can be made to stop the horrific animal extinctions and torture going on in slaughterhouses. The less meat one consumes the better, and it is a wonderful and neccessary thing for anyone to embrace an animal-free diet if they can. If circumstances permit that they cannot fully, or even partially, then they should do their best to change or overcome those circumstances, because Truth and Love are the definite things we are striving for in Spiritual Life, and it is nonsensical to say that hurting others and animal killing has nothing to do with Spiritual Realization. Spiritual Realization is based off of Metta, off of compassion, off of Love, so if one wants to fully grow as a Spiritual person and attain Enlightenment they will have to live as purely as possible. Therefore if it is morally possible and applicable for one not to eat meat, they should not. That is my opinion.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Another good video from Nuseir today, about the double-standard many people have regarding meat consumption.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Veggie burgers coming to McDonalds!

https://vegnews.com/2021/2/mcdonalds-be ... ed-options

I think in Europe and India they have already had it there for quite some time, but here in the U.S. we tend to lag behind them on some green and vegetarian options.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

DNS wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:14 pm Veggie burgers coming to McDonalds!

https://vegnews.com/2021/2/mcdonalds-be ... ed-options

I think in Europe and India they have already had it there for quite some time, but here in the U.S. we tend to lag behind them on some green and vegetarian options.
I remember reading a Time magazine article that there was a Vegan Indian McDonalds opening in India because of popular demand, I think this was around the time of this article, in 2012:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-19479013

India has some problems as a country, but I am glad for their Spiritual Heritage as well as for their good and truthful Devotion to Vegetarianism that is spreading throughout the globe.

Namaste!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Here's a new vegan video just released by a Buddhist.

A little more than halfway through, he put up some interesting statistics:

About 36% of Buddhist teachers are vegetarian. About 9% are vegan for a total of about 45% vegetarian/vegan.

About 21% of Buddhist practitioners (laypeople) are vegetarian while only 0.01% are vegan.

I've always guessed it was around 50% thus, the controversy and sometimes heated debates among Buddhists.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I get the weekly newsletter for Mahapajapati monastery emailed to me. Today's teaching was about meat eating:

Q: Purchasing meat at the grocery store incentivizes its replacement by the grocer, which in turn necessitates killing of more animals. It is my understanding that the Buddhist vinaya allows monastics to consume what is placed in their bowls. Because lay people retain optionality with what they eat, is it advised that they purchase only vegetarian foods?

A: The Buddha taught that there are four types of food:

“There are four kinds of nutriments which enable living beings to grow and maintain life. What are these four nutriments? The first is edible food, the second is the food of sense impressions, the third is the food of volition, and the fourth is the food of consciousness.” (SN 12:63)

The purpose of the alms round is to cultivate non-attachment to food on the part of monks and gratitude towards the donors for their merit (pāramī) simultaneously.

Monks practicing in the Mahayana tradition eat only vegetarian foods, adhering to the diet of Devadata, Gotoma’s cousin and a monk himself. However, the Buddha disagreed with Devadata. He stated that because death is natural law, there are allowances for eating animals:

“Jivaka, I say that there are three instances in which meat should not be eaten: when it is seen, heard, or suspected to kill directly. I say that meat should not be eaten in these three instances. I say that there are three instances in which meat may be eaten: when it is not seen, not heard, and not suspected. I say that meat may be eaten in these three instances.” (MN55)

For those crafting a diet within the framework of the three purities outlined by the Buddha in MN55, the logic of meat-eating goes as follows. If an animal was not killed with the intention that it be consumed by you specifically, then it is permissible to eat. Therefore, meat purchased at a grocery store, restaurant, or similar institution in which the slaughtering was done without the expressed purpose that the animal be consumed by you, then its consumption is justified within the three purities.

However, what is most important is to return to the core teachings of the Buddha through mindful meditation and inspection of causes and conditions with regard to what you choose to consume.

Ask yourself, is this beneficial or not? Appropriate or not? There should be no greed, craving, or attachment to food. That is most important. It is through this sort of mindfulness with regard to food that one relinquishes their attachments to it and develops right understanding. We must remain in the Middle Way (Majjhimā paṭipadā, 中道).

May all understand Dhamma and develop Wisdom!

May all beings be free from any suffering!

May all beings be well and happy!

With Metta,

Ayyā Kosallā & Mahāpajāpatī Bhikkhunī Sangha
Edited by Max Montgomery
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Problem solved, debate is over! Technology has solved the dilemma. Nuseir's video today:

I still wouldn't want to eat it, as I don't like the taste of meat, but for those who do, a great solution.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

DNS wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:00 pm Problem solved, debate is over! Technology has solved the dilemma. Nuseir's video today:

I still wouldn't want to eat it, as I don't like the taste of meat, but for those who do, a great solution.
This is extremely, extremely wonderful news. Our world has more than enough technological capacity to roll this type of production out en masse in the future. Just think of all the other types of things we are developing in labs. Imagine if meat is one of them, this could save the Earth, prevent disaster, and save trillions upon trillions of innocent lives. This project needs to be completely supported.