The most vegetarian religions/sects

Nonviolent expressions of the Dharma, vegetarian debate
DNS
Site Admin

The most vegetarian religions/sects

Post by DNS »

Just for fun, since I like lists. :tongue:

The religions and/or sects which advocate vegetarianism the most:

1. Jainism (required of all monastics and lay people)
2. Chan Buddhism (accepts all of the pro-vegetarian sutras; Nirvana sutra, Lankavatara sutra, etc)
3. Hinduism (some sects and modern Hindu-based movements, ISKCON, Sri Chinmoy, etc)
4. Zen Buddhism (most traditions, lineages are veg., but not all)
5. General Mahayana Buddhism
6. Theravada Buddhism (monks consume what is offered, even if non-veg, but for lay people an increasing number have been purchasing vegetarian foods)
7. Vajrayana Buddhism (some traditions offer meat in rituals at the altar, however, an increasing number of teachers have been advocating vegetarianism)
8. Taoism
9. Sikhism (some sects)
10. Zoroastrianism (some sects)
11. New Age
12. Christianity (Gnostics and some other sects)
13. Islam (Sufi)
14. Judaism (Kabbalah)
Brahma Das

Re: The most vegetarian religions/sects

Post by Brahma Das »

I’ve been part of ISKCON for over fourteen years, they follow the Brahma Sampradaya, and the Eternal Religion of Sanatana Dharma, and we really push unbending vegetarianism as a philosophy even as an attempt to make the whole world stop eating meat because of it’s hurtful nature or we also go for the personal choice of veganism in our movement. I am currently a Ksatrya defending a quiet Buddhist Temple so by circumstance it seems that meat has started to pass my lips sometimes because we have little alternative at this point, and I share my personal vegetarian food with others but in turn it then it seems like I am eating meat. Though the Hare Krishnas here just chant silently, but with the power of the mind meat doesn’t have to be ingested even when visibly taken in according to what is seen by one’s material vision. All the while, My God, I miss Vishnu Temple food more than anything and I can’t wait till I can eat the Prasadam of the Hare Krishna Temples again. My favorite thing about the Hare Krishna movement is the Decotees, the second favorite is the Hare Krishna Mantra, and the third and fourth for equal places are the Deities and the Offered Prasadam, which are of equal quality. :heart:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare / Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare. :heart:

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Looks delicious!

I :heart: Indian food.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

The food is so good, it is good for the mind, body, and Soul. Sometimes I would just go to the Temple for the food because it contained so many Spiritual properties especially after being offered to the Deities and by our Tradition becoming non-different from Krishna that if I needed some healing Spiritually, emotionally, or physically, the Prasadam would really help. I often used to go to the back of the Temple and eat the special food meant especially for Krishna, this may be a bit bold of me, but I wanted to get as much Spiritual Potency as possible from the food and I actually developed a Spiritual Greed for the Prasadam. We consider this type of thing a Transcendental Love in the Hare Krishna movement, a mellow with God, and no ordinary thing. I dearly miss the food and I wish in these troubling times more people could receive the benefit of it, especially those who are struggling with the major ailment that our Planet is going through.

Om Tat Sat Hare Krishna.