Sikh's generosity

Sharing the Dharma with others, so that they too may benefit from the Buddha's wisdom.
DNS
Site Admin

Sikh's generosity

Post by DNS »

Sikhs are known for their great generosity. One thing every temple does is serve vegetarian lunch to anyone who shows up, free of charge. Now they are using that generosity to help some truck drivers stuck on the freeway in the UK.

Brahma Das

Re: Sikh's generosity

Post by Brahma Das »

This is wonderful. I am a Sikh too, I put Singh at the end of my name, usually going by Brahma Singh.. my full initiated name I go by is Gogog Swami Bhakta Brahma Das Singh, which means "Swami Who is Already There, Devotee of Brahma and Servant to, and Spiritual Lion".

Brahma, Shiva, Krishna, and Vishnu and Krishna as well as the other Devas and Avatars and Demigods play a large part in Sikhism, though worship is mainly focused on the One Universal Creator God. In the Hare Krishna Faith we consider that Krishna is the Supreme Lord, although even Krishna talks about Himself in the Bhagavad-Gita in third person saying "[Text 15:] Others, who engage in sacrifice by the cultivation of knowledge, worship the Supreme Lord as the one without a second, as diverse in many, and in the universal form. [Text 16:] But it is I who am the ritual, I the sacrifice, the offering to the ancestors, the healing herb, the transcendental chant. I am the butter and the fire and the offering."

This is relevant to Sikhism because Sikhs believe in the True Guru being God. There is a quote from the Sikh Scriptures that states that anyone who fully understands God is God Himself [or Herself]. And God is also referred to as the Immaculate Lord as well as Allah in reference to the Muslim Revelations. So God is seen as One, in Sikhism, and that is it's strength. The Same is in the Hare Krishna Faith, and Guru Gobind Singh mentions "I am a Slave [in the Spiritual sense, such as the Apostle Paul's mention in the same way to being a Spiritual Slave to Jesus Christ of Nazareth] to anyone who chants Hare Krishna". The difference in worship between the Sikh Faith and the Hare Krishna Faith is that in Sikhism God is understood as fully Universal, All-Pervasing, One and Diverse in Many as many Sikh Gurus despite their humbleness are understood to be different forms of the Same exact God. In the Hare Krishna Faith there is of course the Same exact theme, except there is an ancient Hierarchy of Demigods and Avatars that are all documented, and we can find them within ourselves if we reach that level, or attain Shikyavesha Avatar status, which means "Empowered Incarnation of the Supreme Lord". Pure devotion to God, the most important thing, as well as chanting the Naam in Sikhism, Sikh Mantras and Songs to and of God, as well as the Maha Mantra, the Hare Krishna Mantra, in the Hare Krishna Dharma as well as other important Vedic songs, there are more than hundreds of them, are very important to the Hare Krishna Religious Faith. So it is quite possible and easy to be a Hare Krishna and Sikh at the Same time.

So with regards to food distribution, I am upset at this pandemic of course, because so many Vishnu Temples have closed their doors to the public because of safety concerns and ordinances, though there is quite a good deal of making some food for the needed public going on, especially in India. We Love to distribute Prashadam, which Sikhs generally call "Prasad" (though for Sikhs it is a more specific dish, Halwa, while it all offered Hare Krishna food is considered "Prashadam" for any offered food, though of course as noted Sikhs make all sorts of food for others) for both of us it is Spiritual Food that is a Sacrifice to the Lord. It's a powerful as eating the fruits from the Tree of Life, and to me it is the best food in the world. I can't wait till Temples open up for the public again. Anyway, thank you so much for the friendly video. Wahe Guru Wahe Jio! Om Tat Sat Hare Krishna. Aum. :anjali:

Sikh Gurudwara Food.

Hare Krishna Temple Prasadam offered to the Deities.

Sikh Halwa Kada Prasad.

Ek Ongkar Sat Nam Karta Purkh Nirbhau Nirvair Akal Moorat Ajoonee Saibhang Gur Prasaad. Jap. Aad Sach, Jugad Sach, Hai Bhee Sach, Nanak Hosee Bhee Sach.

English translation:

One Universal Creator God. The Name is Truth. Creative Being Personified. No Fear. No Hatred. Image of the Undying, Beyond Birth, Self-Existent. By Gurus Grace. Meditate. True in the Primal Beginning. True Throughout the Ages. True Here and Now. O Nanak, Forever and Ever True.

Om!