Uposatha poll

A group dedicated to the practice of the Dharma who have voluntarily agreed to undertake the following commitments: 1. To have taken Refuge in the Tisarana (Triple Gem) 2. To live their lives according to the Five Precepts to the best of their ability. 3. To meditate for at least 15 minutes a day, every day.

How often do you practice Uposatha in an average month?

I don't do this practice.
67%
1 - 4 times per month.
17%
5 - 10 times per month.
No votes
11 - 15 times per month.
17%
16 - 29 days per month.
No votes
Everyday
No votes

Total votes: 6

DNS
Site Admin

Uposatha poll

Post by DNS »

Today is the full moon day of June 2016. For some Buddhists they engage in Uposatha practice, which typically involves extra precepts, extra dedication to the practice. The 8 precepts are voluntarily followed:

1. I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.
2. I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.
3. I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual activity.
4. I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.
5. I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.
6. I undertake the precept to refrain from eating at the forbidden time (i.e., after noon).
7. I undertake the precept to refrain from dancing, singing, music, going to see entertainments, wearing garlands, using perfumes, and beautifying the body with cosmetics.
8. I undertake the precept to refrain from lying on a high or luxurious sleeping place.

The first 5 are basically the same as the regular 5 precepts except that the precept against sexual misconduct is extended to refrain from all sexual activity (just for Uposatha, not all the time).

The additional ones include not eating after 12 noon, refraining from music and dancing, entertainments and luxury beds. This is done by some lay Buddhists on one to four days per month. It is mostly a Theravada Buddhist practice, but was wondering if some Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhists also do this?
Lhamo

Re: Uposatha poll

Post by Lhamo »

I did it in wintertime on an unregular base. Sometimes 4 days a week, sometimes once a month. I don't follow an uposatha calendar, I just took the pratimoksha vows as it fit into my plans.
So, yes, I do it sometimes, but I cannot vote for any of those points.
David N. Snyder wrote:...
The additional ones include not eating after 12 noon, refraining from music and dancing, entertainments and luxury beds. This is done by some lay Buddhists on one to four days per month. It is mostly a Theravada Buddhist practice, but was wondering if some Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhists also do this?
Yes. It is called "Mahayana Vows for 24 hours" in my tradition (Gelug in tibetan Buddhism). (Edit:) The ritual of taking the vows is reciting a text. It expresses the wish to heal and liberate all beings from there sufferings and hence this positive act is dedicated for the wellbeing of all. )
In addition to the points you mentioned there should be not only refrain from parfume but jewlery also. The mala will not be worn as decoration.
And the vows have to be taken before sunrise, in the gray of dawn. When the sun is in the Zenith lunch should be finished. But you can have too meals as well, if you want. Breakfast and lunch. But for sure it should be a day of mindfulness, also while eating.
ImageImageImageImage
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Yes. It is called "Mahayana Vows for 24 hours" in my tradition
:thumbsup:
Lhamo wrote:I did it in wintertime on an unregular base. Sometimes 4 days a week, sometimes once a month. I don't follow an uposatha calendar, I just took the pratimoksha vows as it fit into my plans.
So, yes, I do it sometimes, but I cannot vote for any of those points.
Me too, I don't follow any particular schedule, I just do it when I have the opportunity, so one month it might be half the month or more and another month it might only be one day.
plwk

Post by plwk »

In the Chinese Mahayana Tradition, yes but the majority merely observe a vegetarian diet and don't seem to remember the 'Eight Prohibitive Vegetarian Precepts' which are observed traditionally on each lunar month & various Celebration Days of Buddhas, Bodhisattvas & Patriarchs and its additions or omissions on the days of observance varies from sect to sect as well. Samples as below:

The Six Days of Observance:
8th, 14th, 15th, 23rd and last 2 days of the month

The Ten Days of Observance:
1st, 8th, 14th, 15th, 18th, 23rd, 24th and last 3 days of the month.

And for those who have special devotion to Bodhisattvas or practices like below and Ksitigarbha (in his 13 Chapter Fundamental Vows text with dates):
The Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva Annual Twenty-Two Days Observance:
1st Lunar Month: 8th Day
2nd Lunar Month: 7th, 9th, 19th Days
3rd Lunar Month: 3rd, 6th, 13th Days
4th Lunar Month: 22nd Day
5th Lunar Month: 3rd, 17th Days
6th Lunar Month: 16th, 18th, 19th, 23rd Days
7th Lunar Month: 13th Day
8th Lunar Month: 16th Day
9th Lunar Month: 19th, 23rd Days
10th Lunar Month: 2nd Day
11th Lunar Month: 19th, 24th Days
12th Lunar Month: 25th Day
Master Huiguo told me,
'If you know your own mind (just as it really is), you know the Buddha's mind.
If you know the Buddha's mind, you know the minds of all beings.
Knowing the identity of these three minds is Great Awakening.'
Link
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I undertake the precept to refrain from lying on a high or luxurious sleeping place.
What is the meaning of this.
Do you suppose to sleep on the floor?
Do I have to use a mat to sleep?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SarathW wrote:
I undertake the precept to refrain from lying on a high or luxurious sleeping place.
What is the meaning of this.
Do you suppose to sleep on the floor?
Do I have to use a mat to sleep?
For some monks and nuns (especially in the Thai tradition), they interpret it to mean sleeping directly on the floor with mats and thin pillows. For others, it just means a simple bed, nothing too elaborate or luxurious, but still can be a regular bed.

For example this might be considered a luxurious bed:

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

If you take the bed alone why is it luxury?
Is that because it got springs and cushioned?
Should the base of the bed be wood?
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

SarathW wrote:If you take the bed alone why is it luxury?
It is luxury because it is comfortable. Comfort has a way of dissuading one from serious practice.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace;
There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge;
There is no Passion, there is Serenity;
There is no Death, there is the Force.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I think Alex is correct; it is mostly about not having too much comfort. I found these threads on DWT:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=11720
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=6830
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

AlexMcLeod wrote:
SarathW wrote:If you take the bed alone why is it luxury?
It is luxury because it is comfortable. Comfort has a way of dissuading one from serious practice.
How about sitting on a cushion when meditate?
I thought it is easy to meditate when you are comfortable.
Lhamo

Post by Lhamo »

I understood that rule about high beds and seats as renouncing pride. If I sit on a high chair/throne, if I sleep on a high luxurious bed, it gives a sentiment of "I am so important."
I was told, it is about heigth: if the bed is higher than 30 cm it is not appropriate. :shrug:
ImageImageImageImage
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

Lhamo wrote:I understood that rule about high beds and seats as renouncing pride. If I sit on a high chair/throne, if I sleep on a high luxurious bed, it gives a sentiment of "I am so important."
I was told, it is about heigth: if the bed is higher than 30 cm it is not appropriate. :shrug:
This is also somewhat correct, self-importance also dissuades one from sincere practice. But in the past as a general rule, the taller the bed, the more soft and comfortable.

As for sitting on a cushion during meditation, you are already practicing. How would you be dissuaded by being less uncomfortable during your session?
There is no Emotion, there is Peace;
There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge;
There is no Passion, there is Serenity;
There is no Death, there is the Force.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Lhamo wrote:I understood that rule about high beds and seats as renouncing pride. If I sit on a high chair/throne, if I sleep on a high luxurious bed, it gives a sentiment of "I am so important."
Yes this is my understanding too.
It is to eliminate "Maana" pride or the thought I am higher, lower or equal etc. to someone else.