Quotes on Awareness\Mindfulness...

A place to compare and contrast Dharmic traditions, debates allowed, but be polite.
Ajay0

Quotes on Awareness\Mindfulness...

Post by Ajay0 »

All of spirituality is contained in that one word: Awareness. ~ Mata Amritanandamayi

Proceed on life’s journey with awareness. ~ Mata Amritanandamayi

If I were to summarize it ( Guruma's teachings) into one thing, it would be awareness. How to develop that awareness-insight. I am not referring to awareness at the level of the mind as seen in mountaineers or astronauts. A slip in awareness and the mountaineer can be buried alive under snow or the astronaut blasted away from his ship. But that awareness does not transform them or cause them to disassociate from the mind and its functions. To be an observer is to be totally neutral and to be a witness. And somewhere, I would add, the awareness of who I am, or what the truth is. ~ Anandamurti Gurumaa

How to do meditation, many people ask me. Don't do anything, to just go into thoughtless awareness. Try to go to the thoughtless awareness. If you can get into that condition of thoughtless awareness you've done your job, because that's the point where you are with the truth, with the reality, with the joy, with everything that is so fundamental. ~ Nirmala Devi

When you are in thoughtless awareness, you must know that you are in the kingdom of God and His people, His arrangements, His consciousness, is going to look after you. ~ Nirmala Devi
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Ajay0

Re: Quotes on Awareness\Mindfulness...

Post by Ajay0 »

You can become fully aware only when you are living in the moment. ~ Barry Long

Awareness means to be in the moment so totally that there is no movement toward the past, no movement toward the future—all movement stops. ~ Osho

A mind in the present moment is meditation. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.

Do not lose yourself in the past. Do not lose yourself in the future. Do not get caught in your anger, worries, or fears. Come back to the present moment, and touch life deeply. This is mindfulness. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

One way to get free of attachment is to cultivate the witness consciousness, to become a neutral observer of your own life. The witness place inside you is simple awareness, the part of you that is aware of everything — just noticing, watching, not judging, just being present, being here now. ~ Ram Dass
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

When there is attention (awareness), goodness flowers; when there is no attention, every form of evil comes into being. So attention is the only virtue. ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

You miss the real by lack of attention and create the unreal by excess of imagination. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

Evil is the shadow of inattention. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

There is nothing like ignorance, only inattention. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

Self-awareness is yoga. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

Awareness is ever there. It need not be realized. Open the shutter of the mind, and it will be flooded with light. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

Deepen and broaden your awareness of yourself and all the blessings will flow. You need not seek anything, all will come to you most naturally and effortlessly. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

A quiet mind is all you need. All else will happen rightly, once your mind is quiet. As the sun on rising makes the world active, so does self-awareness affect changes in the mind. In the light of calm and steady self-awareness, inner energies wake up and work miracles without any effort on your part. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

The Self, our Being, is awareness. ~ Sri Muruganar

Nearly all mankind is more or less unhappy because nearly all do not know the true Self. Real happiness abides in Self-knowledge alone. All else is fleeting. To know one’s Self is to be blissful always. ~ Ramana Maharshi

Man’s search for happiness is an unconscious search for his true Self. The true Self is imperishable; therefore when a man finds it, he finds a happiness which does not come to an end. ~ Ramana Maharshi

This world is trapped in the well of suffering. What is this suffering due to? This suffering stems from ignorance of the Self. All suffering in this world is because of ignorance. This ignorance leads to raag (attachment) and dwesh (abhorrence) relentlessly and suffering is experienced as a consequence. Only Gnan can cure this suffering. There is no other remedy. Gnan insulates you from suffering. ~ Ambalal Muljibhai Patel

Purpose of suffering is to connect you to your Self (Awareness). It indicates that you got carried away by all the transient things around you. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

If we continuously maintain self awareness, we will be able to experience peace and happiness. ~ Amma (Mata Amritanandamayi Devi).

When we are mindful, deeply in touch with the present moment, our understanding of what is going on deepens, and we begin to be filled with acceptance, joy, peace and love. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease. When you act out the present-moment awareness, whatever you do becomes imbued with a sense of quality, care, and love - even the most simple action. ~ Eckhart Tolle

And thoughtless awareness is nothing but such a pouring sense of joy - joy which is neither happiness or unhappiness, but singular. ~ Nirmala Devi

The most beautiful moments in your life – moments of bliss, moments of joy, moments of ecstasy, moments of utter peace – were moments when you were not thinking about anything. You were just living. ~ Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

Whenever your mind becomes still there is happiness and enjoyment, and each time the mind is shaken then sorrow, tensions and worries surround you. ~ Anandmurti Gurumaa

Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

The Self, our Being, is awareness. ~ Sri Muruganar

The Self stands beyond the mind. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

All happiness comes from awareness. ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

The Self (awareness) alone can give you happiness. All happiness is from the Self. All trouble, sorrow and suffering is from the mind. ~ H.W.Poonja

If you do not mess your mind, you will naturally be joyful. ~ Jaggi Vasudev

Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

You are awareness. Awareness is another name for you. Since you are awareness there is no need to attain or cultivate it.
~ Ramana Maharshi

Your true nature is awareness and not what your mind is producing. ~ Burt Harding

The more you identify with your mind, the further away you are from your Self (awareness). ~ Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

Awareness is who we are and forgetting that leads to suffering. ~ Vicki Woodyard

Mind is nothing but the absence of your presence. ~ Eckhart Tolle

Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Tamāla Kṛṣṇa: How and why . . . how and why did we lose our love for Kṛṣṇa in the beginning?

Jāhnavā: No, not the love. Just the awareness of the love, of our true love for Kṛṣṇa.

Prabhupāda: Our awareness is there. You love somebody. But you are meant to love Kṛṣṇa, that you have forgotten. So forgetfulness is also our nature. Sometimes we forget. And especially because we are very small, minute, therefore even I cannot remember exactly what I was doing last night at this time. So forgetfulness is not unnatural for us. And again, if somebody revives our memory, to accept that, that is also not unnatural.

So our loving object is Kṛṣṇa. Somehow or other, we have forgotten Him. We don't trace the history when we forgot. That is useless labor. But we have forgotten, that is a fact. Now revive it. Here is reminder. So take opportunity. Don't try to history why you have forgotten and what was the date of my forgetfulness. Even if you know, what is the use? You have forgotten. Take it. Just like if you go to a physician, he'll never ask you how you got this disease, what is the history of this disease, at what date, at what time you were infected. No. He simply feels your pulse and sees that you have got a disease and he gives you the medicine, "Yes. You take it."

Similarly, we are suffering. That is a fact. Nobody can deny. Why you are suffering? Forgetting Kṛṣṇa. That's all. Now you revive your memory about Kṛṣṇa, you become happy. That's all. Very simple thing. Now don't try to find out the history when you forgot. You have forgotten, that is a fact, because you are suffering. Now here is an opportunity, Kṛṣṇa consciousness movement. Revive your memory, your love for Kṛṣṇa.

Simple thing. Chant Hare Kṛṣṇa, dance, and take kṛṣṇa-prasādam. And if you are not educated, you are illiterate, hear. Just you have got natural gift, ear. You have got natural tongue. So you can chant Hare Kṛṣṇa and you can hear Bhagavad-gītā or Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam from persons who are in the knowledge.

So there is no impediment. No impediment. It does not require any prequalification. Simply you have to use whatever asset you have got. That's all. You must agree. That is wanted, "Yes, I shall take to Kṛṣṇa consciousness." That depends on you, because you are independent. If you disagree, "No. Why shall I take to Kṛṣṇa?" nobody can give you. But if you agree, it is here, very easy—take it.
Lecture - Seattle, September 30, 1968.
Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

Brahma Das wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:50 pm
Tamāla Kṛṣṇa: How and why . . . how and why did we lose our love for Kṛṣṇa in the beginning?

Jāhnavā: No, not the love. Just the awareness of the love, of our true love for Kṛṣṇa.

Prabhupāda: Our awareness is there. You love somebody. But you are meant to love Kṛṣṇa, that you have forgotten. So forgetfulness is also our nature. Sometimes we forget. And especially because we are very small, minute, therefore even I cannot remember exactly what I was doing last night at this time. So forgetfulness is not unnatural for us. And again, if somebody revives our memory, to accept that, that is also not unnatural.

So our loving object is Kṛṣṇa. Somehow or other, we have forgotten Him. We don't trace the history when we forgot. That is useless labor. But we have forgotten, that is a fact. Now revive it. Here is reminder. So take opportunity. Don't try to history why you have forgotten and what was the date of my forgetfulness. Even if you know, what is the use? You have forgotten. Take it. Just like if you go to a physician, he'll never ask you how you got this disease, what is the history of this disease, at what date, at what time you were infected. No. He simply feels your pulse and sees that you have got a disease and he gives you the medicine, "Yes. You take it."

Similarly, we are suffering. That is a fact. Nobody can deny. Why you are suffering? Forgetting Kṛṣṇa. That's all. Now you revive your memory about Kṛṣṇa, you become happy. That's all. Very simple thing. Now don't try to find out the history when you forgot. You have forgotten, that is a fact, because you are suffering. Now here is an opportunity, Kṛṣṇa consciousness movement. Revive your memory, your love for Kṛṣṇa.

Simple thing. Chant Hare Kṛṣṇa, dance, and take kṛṣṇa-prasādam. And if you are not educated, you are illiterate, hear. Just you have got natural gift, ear. You have got natural tongue. So you can chant Hare Kṛṣṇa and you can hear Bhagavad-gītā or Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam from persons who are in the knowledge.

So there is no impediment. No impediment. It does not require any prequalification. Simply you have to use whatever asset you have got. That's all. You must agree. That is wanted, "Yes, I shall take to Kṛṣṇa consciousness." That depends on you, because you are independent. If you disagree, "No. Why shall I take to Kṛṣṇa?" nobody can give you. But if you agree, it is here, very easy—take it.
Lecture - Seattle, September 30, 1968.
This does not deal with the awareness/mindfulness/witnessing mentioned in the thread title . Gurdjieff called it self-remembering while Mahavira called it Vivek.

Awareness here means living in the present moment, instead of in the past or future (due to compulsive thinking and emoting in mind) due to the influence of memory or imagination respectively. It is also referred to as the Self or pure consciousness in Hindu philosophy. It is quite hard to comprehend or understand due to its subtlety and hence the reason why you were not able to grasp it in the proper context.

Krishna also refers to the Self in the Bhagavad Gita...

When one's mind dwells on the objects of Senses, fondness for them grows on him, from fondness comes desire, from desire anger.Anger leads to bewilderment, bewilderment to loss of memory of true Self, and by that intelligence is destroyed, and with the destruction of intelligence he perishes . BG 2.62-63

Krishna said : O Partha, when one fully renounces all the desires that have entered the mind, and remains satisfied in the Self alone by the Self, then he is called a man of steady wisdom. BG 2.55

Understanding the Self thus [Understanding thus: that desires can be conquered through the knowledge of the Self.] as superior to the intellect, and completely establishing (the Self) in spiritual absorption with the (help of) the mind, O mighty-armed one, vanish the enemy in the form of desire, which is difficult to subdue. BG 3.43

With his heart unattached to external objects, he gets the bliss that is in the Self. With his heart absorbed in meditation on Brahman, he acquires undecaying Bliss. BG 5.21

Please create a separate thread on Self or awareness for discussion if you have any doubts on it so that the present quote thread is not derailed. :namaste:

Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

You have a great deal of wisdom, though just make sure not to confuse the Self with the Superself! Otherwise things just get cloudy. Carry on, I made a new thread. All respects. :bow: :anjali:
Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

The Self is pure consciousness. ~ Ramana Maharshi

Remove the ego and avidya (ignorance) is gone. Look for it, the ego vanishes and the real Self alone remains.~ Ramana Maharshi

To be free from bondage the wise person must practise discrimination between One-Self and the ego-self.
By that alone you will become full of joy, recognising Self as Pure Being, Consciousness and Bliss. ~ Adi Shankaracharya

When I say, ‘Meditate on the Self’ I am asking you to be the Self, not think about it. Be aware of what remains when thoughts stop. Be aware of the consciousness that is the origin of all your thoughts. Be that consciousness. ~ Annamalai Swami

Tayumanuvar, a Tamil saint whom Bhagavan (Ramana Maharshi) often quoted, wrote in one of his poems: ‘My Guru merely told me that I am consciousness. Having heard this, I held onto consciousness. What he told me was just one sentence, but I cannot describe the bliss I attained from holding onto that one simple sentence. Through that one sentence I attained a peace and a happiness that can never be explained in words.’

—Annamalai Swami: Final Talks, pages 67–68.

Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

You are the unchangeable Awareness in which all activity takes place. ~ H.W. Poonja

You are awareness. Awareness is another name for you. Since you are awareness there is no need to attain or cultivate it. ~ Ramana Maharshi

We are not separate from the Natural Awareness we experience within the present moment. ~ Metta Zetty

You are primal awareness. Life is only primal awareness. Between two thoughts or two perceptions you are. You know moments in your life when a thought completely disappears into silence, but still you are. ~ Dr. Jean Klein

The truth is you really are nothing, but this nothing is full, whole, infinite in everything and everywhere. This nothing is conciousness itself. It is already whole, complete and fulfilled. This is the amazing irony. ~ Gangaji

Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Peace is complete awareness. In this state of awareness, we cultivate and combine compassion and wisdom. In this state of awareness, we are alive, awake, we take responsibility for our actions. In this state, we are not driven by emotion, we control our emotions and actions. In this state, we are patient, non-violent, we do not judge. In this state, we nurture our Inner Wealth – our innate values – and balance them with outer (material) wealth in a way that benefits all sentient beings. This is peace.
-Thaye Dorje, His Holiness the 17th Gyalwa Karmapa.

Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

Under the obsessive thoughts and plans, under the emotions, positive and negative, there is an ocean of peace. ~Gangaji

To know yourself as the Being underneath the thinker, the stillness underneath the mental noise, the love and joy underneath the pain, is freedom, salvation, enlightenment. ~ Eckhart Tolle

We are completely unaware of our true nature because we identify ourselves with our body, our emotions and our thoughts, thus losing sight of our unchanging centre, which is pure consciousness. ~ Dr. Jean Klein

Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it. ~ Eckhart Tolle

If you don't have very strong emotions or very intense thoughts about something, you cannot get depressed. ~ Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

Life is rooted in reality, not in your thoughts and emotions. ~ Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

Rather than being your thoughts and emotions, be the awareness behind them. ~ Eckhart Tolle

The most beautiful moments in your life – moments of bliss, moments of joy, moments of ecstasy, moments of utter peace – were moments when you were not thinking about anything. You were just living. ~ Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

Thinking is good, but excessive thinking is not. Between thoughts if there is a period of thoughtlessness, thoughts will be fresh and pathbreaking. A thinker will be able to cultivate a strain of healthy thoughts only when he pays attention to thoughtlessness also. ~ Acharya Mahapragya

While doing work if the mind continues to be active let it be so, but there must be at the same time a capacity for silence.
~ Sri Aurobindo

Reason does not need thinking. If you observe yourself making a plan you will notice that having fixed the object, the facts just keep coming, linking up into a chain of proposed action. Awareness is experiencing from moment to moment. Reason acts quickly in awareness, a thousand times faster than thought, and you do not even notice it is operating. ~ Barry Long

When the robot mind is mastered, undisciplined thinking ceases and is replaced by awareness. Awareness can know love. You can only experience the new when you are aware, when you are without thought. ~ Barry Long

I do not know if you have noticed that there is understanding when the mind is very quiet, even for a second; there is the flash of understanding when the verbalization of thought is not. Just experiment with it and you will see for yourself that you have the flash of understanding, that extraordinary rapidity of insight, when the mind is very still, when thought is absent, when the mind is not burdened with its own noise. So, the understanding of anything—of a modern picture, of a child, of your wife, of your neighbor, or the understanding of truth, which is in all things—can only come when the mind is very still. ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

Clear thinking results in correct action. ~ Nataraja Guru

The average man is ruled by the explosions of his emotions, and cannot think clearly. ~ Yogananda

Conflict is always emotional. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Emotions arise from thoughts which arise, in turn, from foundational belief structures about the nature of Reality and your own innate identity. ~ Metta Zetty

The conflict in the world is not between good and evil, as is so often projected. The conflict is always between one man’s belief and another man’s belief, whether it is within the family or between nations. The moment you believe something, you are in conflict with the opposing belief. You can postpone it with moderate talk. But conflict is inevitable. ~ Jaggi Vasudev

Ego is complete identification with thought and emotion. ~ Eckhart Tolle

Be aware that what you think, to a large extent, creates the emotions that you feel. See the link between your thinking and your emotions. Rather than being your thoughts and emotions, be the awareness behind them. ~ Eckhart Tolle