Closer to truth (inspiration for Dharma Paths)

A place to compare and contrast Dharmic traditions, debates allowed, but be polite.
DNS
Site Admin

Closer to truth (inspiration for Dharma Paths)

Post by DNS »

Here is a short book / booklet I wrote about a year ago:

http://www.closertotruth.org/

Here is the direct link to the pdf booklet:

http://thedhamma.com/closertotruth.pdf

It shows some of my analysis for my affinity for Dharma Paths; that is Dharmic religions and one of the inspirations for creating this site.

It is only about 30 pages long so can be read rather easily and quickly.
AlexMcLeod

Re: Closer to truth (inspiration for Dharma Paths)

Post by AlexMcLeod »

Even at only 30 pages, the analysis is quite deep. It makes me realize how little work I've done on my book/pamphlet.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace;
There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge;
There is no Passion, there is Serenity;
There is no Death, there is the Force.
thepea

Post by thepea »

From closer to the truth chapter 3
"It is not the atheists’ duty to prove that there is no God. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof or evidence. It is the duty of the theists to prove that there is a God, which they have not done."

"This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Nibbana."

— AN 3.32
Prove it.
How is a description of Nibbana, and a claim of the existence of God any different?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

AlexMcLeod wrote:Even at only 30 pages, the analysis is quite deep.
Thanks.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

thepea wrote: How is a description of Nibbana, and a claim of the existence of God any different?
Nibbana (nirvana) is not an anthropomorphic being. No writings or no book can prove nirvana. Nirvana is the cessation of suffering. We can infer that it is possible because as we progress we can experience and notice less suffering in our lives and infer from that it is possible to have virtually no suffering and then possibly complete cessation of suffering.
thepea

Post by thepea »

It's the same, if I see the qualities of God as an all knowing eternal presence within, and I can notice a increase in these qualities within, this is equivalent to seeing a decrease in suffering ,as when you remove suffering presence replaces this.
thepea

Post by thepea »

David N. Snyder wrote: Nirvana is the cessation of suffering.
Yes, when there is no suffering one is unified with God.

Same just using different language.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

David N. Snyder wrote:
thepea wrote: How is a description of Nibbana, and a claim of the existence of God any different?
Nibbana (nirvana) is not an anthropomorphic being. No writings or no book can prove nirvana. Nirvana is the cessation of suffering. We can infer that it is possible because as we progress we can experience and notice less suffering in our lives and infer from that it is possible to have virtually no suffering and then possibly complete cessation of suffering.
If I am an anthromorphuc being, why can't the ultimate share that characteristic?

The short book is wonderful, by the way.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote: If I am an anthromorphuc being, why can't the ultimate share that characteristic?
You are an anthropomorphic being because that is how we evolved as the human species. The workings of evolution are not divinely directed or controlled. It proceeds by natural selection factors, including survival skills and attributes. There are also accidental mutations that occur during evolution. The most intelligent, dominant species of this planet (humans) could have taken some different turns throughout our species' history and we could have looked completely different.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote: The short book is wonderful, by the way.
Thanks!
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

One Truth - Many Songs.jpg
One Truth - Many Songs.jpg (67.39 KiB) Viewed 60340 times
:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The value of comparative study is unmistakable. Every sincere seeker after Truth recognizes the great stimulus it exerts over the mind, and welcomes with joyous heart every revelation that is sustained and verified by many sources both old and new. The dogmatist, on the other hand, in order to safeguard his chosen creed, sits with doors closed to both past and present.

We forget that Truth is self-sufficient and self-sustaining and does not require human hand to protect it. Why should a precept of the New Testament be less valuable if it is found in the Old Testament, or again in the Jewish Kabala, or in the Egyptian sacred codes, in the Zend Avesta of the Parsees, in the great Chinese classics, or in the Indo-Aryan Vedic revelation? Not only is the value of such a saying not decreased, it is reinforced a thousandfold and its utility is expanded. It is only when we settle down to religious morbidity that we are fearful of anything out of our usual custom or habit.
Swami Paramananda in Emerson and Vedanta
Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

"Perhaps the teaching is one, but there are various people who hear it. On account of the inconceivable merit it bestows, it shines forth in various ways".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haribhadra

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Krishnadas1991

Post by Krishnadas1991 »

Perhaps you could also include the Ancient Greeks and Romans within the paths of consideration?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Krishnadas1991 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:49 am Perhaps you could also include the Ancient Greeks and Romans within the paths of consideration?
This site could use some reorganization, but the Greeks and Romans are around about. Here are a couple of threads:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1469

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1473
Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Very good book.

I am up to this part:

Buddha is quoted as saying:
“there is no first beginning, no first beginning is knowable.” Samyutta Nikaya 15.1-2

And I want to say that such Truth is Soulwarming, because although Buddha doesn't literally always speak of a Soul, in his version of Buddhist philosophy He has aimed for people to stare at it face to face with Anatta until they can't deny their Soul, in order to come to Enlightenment, even though many people seem to take them first step of non-self meditation as denying any sort of soul or self, and even Enlightened Spiritual Masters Teach this way with words, but by the time they show the Truth of helping others see their True Self a their Soul, their students indirectly realize their True Self is Nirvana and Buddha-Nature, with all of the work Gautama has continued thanks to the system of non-violence He has produced. One can say to someone "this isn't really you, there's nothing to hold onto at this moment, so let go of your mistakes" and in the next moment that person's consciousness merges with a Higher sense of their Soul. People aren't defined by their mistakes or shortcomings, and everyone exists based on what they really are, and that's only one thing: Love. The greatest example of this Love is Jesus Christ of Nazareth, who is versed as being the Same yesterday, today, tomorrow, and forever, yet He still has a mind, body, and consciousness, although free from aggrigates, fully Buddha and fully in Nirvana that is also constantly changing. Even in God there is something that stays the same, and that is the Soul, and Buddha's version of this is that there is no permanent-self. That doesn't mean there can't be an Eternal Self that will always be subject to change or possible change, called a Soul. We don't die at every moment. Star Trek Transporters don't delete your old you to recreate a new copy of you to throw you into non existence, and we aren't just an infinite series of present moments, and in reincarnation our consciousness carries on to the next body in a Transmigration of an ever-changing Eternal Soul, which is only viewed perfectly in Anatta. Buddhism and the faiths of other religions are like a beautiful painting with different colors. We need every religion in the planet, and we need a lot more than just religion and Spirituality to save this world, though they are the light that shine through it all, martial arts, science, construction, farming, welfare, schooling, cooking, and even leisure must all be done with a Spiritual attitude and with the purpose of Love, not hate, and in such a way it will be under the highest religious principle of God is Love. Buddha is Love.

Bear with me, in my next sentences I will speak outside of what many perceive as "normal Time."

Therefore to say there is no first beginning (and if there were, yes, it would be knowable that there is a first beginning, but we must trust the words of the Buddha), goes to say that all of us are Eternal. How we got here, some Enlightened, some not, some almost there is a deep philosophical question, but it's clear that before Samsara we are all already Enlightened, and those that have fallen into Samsara's grasp that haven't fully attained their constitutional position as Enlightened Ones, but throughout time once they will, they will become beginingless and come to all of Eternal Time as Buddhas, even to pre-Samsaric times that I memtioned as Eternal Enlightened Buddhas, this being in the Spiritual World, in Nirvana, where there is no time factor, this all from a new beginning of entering their constitutional position as Buddhas, but this is not the first beginnjng, because the Buddha that created the new Soul, someone else's Soul, the new Soul that happened to fall sadly eventually into Samsara even after Eternally staying in a Spiritual pre-Samsaric state in a Spiritual Sphere, for example Goloka Vrndaven in according to Vedic Vaishnavist Spiritual Cosmology, that Soul once created by the Buddha, is created with the feeling of only the consciousness of Love, which is beginingless, God in them, infinite, greater than Eternity, and also Eternal in the Spiritual World because they are able and do experience everything they can up to their thusness of Spiritual Advancement, and even the smallest amount of Love in the Spiritual World is felt for Eternity, with no time factor present. In the Spiritual World they can meet their future Eternally Enlightened Self which has always been alive in that world thanks to their eventual progression into the Highest Attainment, and this is why I mentioned that everyone is Eternally Enlightened, because Buddhas shine forever in all directions, beyond time and as Time. One may just not be there yet in their current incarnation, but they are also somewhere as a Buddha that has always been Enlightened, merged into Eternity and in their constitutional position. This gives strength to the idea of a Soul, as well as hope to those who want to believe that one day they will be very good people. My answer to them is that all will be Buddhas undoubtedly. One can feel infinite moments forever in the Spiritual World, or even one moment forever, and the Highest Love is felt by everyone there because the Highest Love is God. In the great bliss of the Spiritual World even an unenlightened Shravana is on the Highest Level of Love, but the danger of not progressing in Spiritual Life even in the Spiritual World is that one may be caught in the glaring material effulgence of the Saha world and fall down to desiring to lord it over material nature themselves, and not ask for Superior Guidance from someone who can bring them to Enlightenment, the Enlightened One being Servant to God. In such a case one who does not turn to God or the Enlightened, they are misusing their independence and the purpose of our Krishna Consciousness movement, for example, is to bring back such a conditioned Soul back Home, back to Godhead. Almost all Hindus clearly accept Buddha as the Godhead, bright as day, and in Buddhism the really advanced Buddhists that I know all feel the same except when speaking in public sometimes or on message boards and such places, in order to preserve Tradition that is meant for a purpose. Buddha didn't really want to walk around with an inflated Ego even though He was the best of men, so the least He could do, in a way, He realized that He didn't have to preach about being God, just about how to be and become God, as well as worship Him perfectly without making Him feel like He couldn't be your equal or you His. One day we will all be on the Same Level, and Buddha has confirmed that He has already succeeded in making that day possible, that we are all already there, in the Lotus Sutra. :meditate:

So Live like you are already fully there :group: . Accept the saying Everyone is a Buddha. Because it is True. My words are not empty or false. :heart:

:anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Brahma Das wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:25 am Very good book.
Thanks. :anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Brahma Das wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:25 am
So Live like you are already fully there :group: . Accept the saying Everyone is a Buddha. Because it is True. My words are not empty or false. :heart:

:thumbsup: :namaste:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Brahma Das wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:25 am

Similar attitude & practice in Mahayana Buddhism where conversion or reversion is important. Also in Judaism - see my most recent post quoting the great Sage Rabbi Kook on sudden & gradual restoration:

https://dharmapaths.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 8546#p8546