The Urantia Book

A place to compare and contrast Dharmic traditions, debates allowed, but be polite.
Brahma Das

Re: The Urantia Book

Post by Brahma Das »

But anyone deciding to become a Buddha, or an Avatar of God can leave to the Spiritual World forever at any Time, it is just that Jesus is especially devoted as the First and Last Adam, the First and the Last, the Alpha and the Omega, and He stewards this world until it's full Enlightenment of everyone.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

I am not personally offended if someone doesn't like the Urantia Book. It might not be for everyone's tastes.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I like it a lot, if I ever have time I would like to read the whole thing, and have in the Spiritual World, it is truly a marvelous work. The author is a Buddha without a doubt. Thank you for sharing dear Friend.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Prayer is designed to make man less thinking but more realizing; it is not designed to increase knowledge but rather to expand insight. (1616.6) 143:7.4
https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/faqs/what-prayer
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

If one defines "thinking" there in that quote as "mental speculation" then that quote is entirely correct. Our Vaishnava movement moves to say that Devotional Service to God cleanses one of mental speculation and puts them on the platform of full Self-Realization, which you are on, of course, there, one has plenty of thoughts but they are all realizations or Self-Realized understanding!
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

My opinion of the Urantia Book is that it's very interesting to read, and it contains many concepts that would appeal to the students of various religions. Of the concepts that are completely unique to the Urantia Book, they definitely give food for thought, even if one doesn't ultimately take them as literally true.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I can ask God a lot of questions about the book, and He is giving me insight to much of it. And that it is accurate information mostly, and the parts of it that contain Expedient Means or misunderstanding come from personal interpretations. Even the Koran had a few personal interpretations of Allah's instructions albeit less even in proportion, it is still important to view what you have presented here as an important work in human History, inspired by the Holy Spirit. I think it will Enlighten many a Christian as long as they stick to the Bible as the ultimate Scripture for Truth, and God to be the Revelator of all knowledge.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Presto Kensho wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:47 pm According to the Urantia Book, it is the revelation intended for our current epoch of history. It's up to the individual to decide whether or not it is true.
The reason I became a Mormon was because my dear friends asked me if I believed the Book of Mormon was True, and even before reading it I could sense by Faith and the Power of the Holy Spirit that it was a True Book, so I said yes, and they both said that it was wonderful that I thought the book was True before even reading it.

I believe that this Urantia Book contains very much Truth, and though as I say it isn't Scripture to me because as you say it isn't to be considered infallible, and Scripture is infallible guidance from God, I believe that the Urantia Book is definitely a clear Revelation by the Holy Spirit. The only other option would be that it is a deception, and Jesus contradicts this by saying that those who glorify Him in Truth, as I sense is being done here, don't turn around the next moment to commit falsehoods against Him. So this book is True, and although imperfectly presented, there is a perfect version of it in the Spiritual World that is to be considered as good as the Holy Bible and a supplemental Scripture, so if you want, you can view this book as Scripture as well, just understand that there may be some issues with infallibility in the version down here which God intends His Revealed Scriptures to have, but this book is still a Revelation as I see it and as you say it, intended as it is, with a certain purpose for us, fully dependant on the Truths of the Bible for it to be understood in the issues that it may have in fully understanding it. Thank you so much for bringing it here to us.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Though much of it is Revelation, in the form it is presented down here it seems to have a lot of personal interpretation. Just imagine if the Bible's Book of Revelation had such issues in it's form, that would make it uninfallible as well and there would also be issues with accuracy. So it is not exactly the same as Book of Revelation Scripture as in the Bible, but it is a Revelation, and a Book that contains it that isn't considered Scripture but a Purport that is supplemental to the Bible, as I mentioned as because of it's method of presentation isn't infallible it is still inspired by the Holy Spirit so I accept it as a modern Revelation of God to humanity, important and needed for our Times.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

I honestly don't believe there's such a thing as an inerrant or infallible scripture. I don't believe a text needs to be inerrant in order to be revelatory.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Presto Kensho wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:27 am I honestly don't believe there's such a thing as an inerrant or infallible scripture. I don't believe a text needs to be inerrant in order to be revelatory.
There's plenty of inerrant and infallible Scriptures, it is just that in Kali-Yuga it is more difficult to make them inerrant to the letter because it is an Age of Quarrel and Hypocrisy. The major Scriptures of this Age are to be considered infallible because they contain the Word of God that God wants to use to guide humanity, and God's word is infallible and inerrant in it's intent to provide meaningful Truth that does not deviate from the exact course of what God wants revealed as Truth. Over time most Scriptures get changed and altered by various means that is why they lose their literal inerrancy, and actually since they still contain much Divine inspiration, Divinity is to be found among them. And infallible truly means an order that is coming directly from God. The only reason why the Urantia Book has decided that it doesn't want to be seen as Infallible is because it doesn't want to compete with or try to replace the Bible or one's Faith in it, but to supplement it in the Christian Faith and it's Tradition. That is my take on it and the author's intent. Otherwise there is much in this Book which I can consider infallible, inerrant, and Scripture. Since as it's finished product there should probably be no modern reformation to it's text because there is to much of an issue in altering text that has been dutifully compiled with great effort. It seems to be a very good work overall.

With regards to how we should view Scripture:
But ignorant and faithless persons who doubt the revealed scriptures do not attain God consciousness; they fall down. For the doubting soul there is happiness neither in this world nor in the next.

Purport

Out of many standard and authoritative revealed scriptures, the Bhagavad-gītā is the best. Persons who are almost like animals have no faith in, or knowledge of, the standard revealed scriptures; and some, even though they have knowledge of, or can cite passages from, the revealed scriptures, have actually no faith in these words. And even though others may have faith in scriptures like Bhagavad-gītā, they do not believe in or worship the Personality of Godhead, Śrī Kṛṣṇa. Such persons cannot have any standing in Kṛṣṇa consciousness. They fall down. Out of all the above-mentioned persons, those who have no faith and are always doubtful make no progress at all. Men without faith in God and His revealed word find no good in this world, nor in the next. For them there is no happiness whatsoever. One should therefore follow the principles of revealed scriptures with faith and thereby be raised to the platform of knowledge. Only this knowledge will help one become promoted to the transcendental platform of spiritual understanding. In other words, doubtful persons have no status whatsoever in spiritual emancipation. One should therefore follow in the footsteps of great ācāryas who are in the disciplic succession and thereby attain success.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Most readers of the Urantia Book don't especially care if you believe in it or not. What matters is whether or not you have a relationship with God, for which the Urantia Book is only an aid.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I think in the process in the distribution of Spiritual Knowledge, it's important for others to believe in the Truth. Christ says it is the Truth that shall set us free. Don't you want to be free? Yes. So it is important to worship God in Spirit and in Truth, and yes, of course have a relationship with the Supreme Lord, and He is here to let us know the Truth. And the Spiritual Truths of this world we encounter come from Love, as a Lover of Love cannot deny it's Potencies that it has over the Soul, and when you Love someone, you just know it, and that is how Truth comes, and the facts presented in a Spiritual Book must be believed if they are True, because a relationship with the Supreme Absolute Truth is a relationship with God. And what is the Scripture that doesn't connect to the Supreme Absolute Truth: God? They all must. That is part of the relationship, everything in Spiritual Life is. But yes, I see what you are saying. One step at a Time.

:coffee:
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I don't like the idea of an Encyclopedia anyone can edit (Wikipedia) which I got some of my initial information about the book from (and I knew I was being led on, but sometimes I'm so that just to start a conversation). Anyway, it seems that the Urantia Book has something called the Paradise Trinity, and as we know Paradise is Heaven, so it is good to say that it is actually God's Trinity that is present in the book, contrary to my previous post. It actually solidifies Jesus as the Eternal Son of God, and how is the Trinity not Eternal? It is a Perfect description in my Opinion, so I repent anything negative I have said about the Book, and will have to read it for myself, as it seems to contain an important Spiritual Perspective:
The Paradise Trinity—the eternal Deity union of the Universal Father, the Eternal Son, and the Infinite Spirit—is existential in actuality, but all potentials are experiential. Therefore does this Trinity constitute the only Deity reality embracing infinity, and therefore do there occur the universe phenomena of the actualization of God the Supreme, God the Ultimate, and God the Absolute. ~ The Urantia Book, (0:12.2)
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Also it seems like these Celestial Beings are actual Priests of God in the order of Melchizedek and are not deluded in any way. I don't think there are any serious issues with this book's Spiritual Authenticity on second appraisal, and I will read it when I can. I don't see anything there that I don't trust. What could there be? Seems Wikipedia is having some misunderstandings and is trying to dissuade people from reading it based on some false pseudo scholarary thought. Sorry about the mix-up. :anjali:

You are a Wise Saint.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

And it seems to me that reading the account of Jesus's birth, I remember distantly and disctinctly meditating on the Author's intent in what was written here:
3. GABRIEL’S ANNOUNCEMENT TO MARY

122:3.1 One evening about sundown, before Joseph had returned home, Gabriel appeared to Mary by the side of a low stone table and, after she had recovered her composure, said: “I come at the bidding of one who is my Master and whom you shall love and nurture. To you, Mary, I bring glad tidings when I announce that the conception within you is ordained by heaven, and that in due time you will become the mother of a son; you shall call him Joshua, and he shall inaugurate the kingdom of heaven on earth and among men. Speak not of this matter save to Joseph and to Elizabeth, your kinswoman, to whom I have also appeared, and who shall presently also bear a son, whose name shall be John, and who will prepare the way for the message of deliverance which your son shall proclaim to men with great power and deep conviction. And doubt not my word, Mary, for this home has been chosen as the mortal habitat of the child of destiny. My benediction rests upon you, the power of the Most Highs will strengthen you, and the Lord of all the earth shall overshadow you.”

122:3.2 Mary pondered this visitation secretly in her heart for many weeks until of a certainty she knew she was with child, before she dared to disclose these unusual events to her husband. When Joseph heard all about this, although he had great confidence in Mary, he was much troubled and could not sleep for many nights. At first Joseph had doubts about the Gabriel visitation. Then when he became well-nigh persuaded that Mary had really heard the voice and beheld the form of the divine messenger, he was torn in mind as he pondered how such things could be. How could the offspring of human beings be a child of divine destiny? Never could Joseph reconcile these conflicting ideas until, after several weeks of thought, both he and Mary reached the conclusion that they had been chosen to become the parents of the Messiah, though it had hardly been the Jewish concept that the expected deliverer was to be of divine nature. Upon arriving at this momentous conclusion, Mary hastened to depart for a visit with Elizabeth.

122:3.3 Upon her return, Mary went to visit her parents, Joachim and Hannah. Her two brothers and two sisters, as well as her parents, were always very skeptical about the divine mission of Jesus, though, of course, at this time they knew nothing of the Gabriel visitation. But Mary did confide to her sister Salome that she thought her son was destined to become a great teacher.

122:3.4 Gabriel’s announcement to Mary was made the day following the conception of Jesus and was the only event of supernatural occurrence connected with her entire experience of carrying and bearing the child of promise.
What I remember from a Vision through the Supersoul in a Past Life, the Supersoul is the observer of the Jiva, I remember seeing through the Supersoul that the Author was wondering how to write this part of the Book as to make it seem whether Jesus was given a Divine Holy Spirit Conception as He had, but having trouble because of negative entities bothering the Author, so it was written like this. I remember seeing a dark olden days apartment and a balcony through the Supersoul where the author was writing and in fact doing something myself to save the Author's life by which He thanked me very clearly. I remember this through the Supersoul, and I do remember meditating on this at night many, many years ago.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I've been meditating on this Book and I think that it is quite fully to be regarded as Scripture actually, supplemental to the Bible, as well as also infallible, though in its own honest humility it claims not to be, because although there may be some issues in presentation with such a large and difficult work, it is all Divinely inspired, therefore it is all Scripture and of God. I cannot say anything but what I feel as the Truth in this subject anymore.

:bow: :reading:
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Brahma Das wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:44 pm ...although there may be some issues in presentation with such a large and difficult work...
I was just about to mention that. As such a vast book, the Urantia Book is sometimes misinterpreted by taking individual quotes out of context. For example, while the book endorses eugenics, it says that eugenics should be voluntary:
"The difficulty of executing such a radical program on Urantia consists in the absence of competent judges to pass upon the biologic fitness or unfitness of the individuals of your world races. Notwithstanding this obstacle, it seems that you ought to be able to agree upon the biologic disfellowshiping of your more markedly unfit, defective, degenerate, and antisocial stocks." (51:4.8)

Why is that distressful? Those words say we humans are reluctant to impose constraints on reproduction because we lack competent judges to pass on the potential fitness of offspring. True. We are however quite scientifically competent at this time in history to predict when it's highly likely that parents will bear children with various defects or diseases. Because of our over-sentimentality we don't impose the social constraints we are now competent to impose upon these obvious problem areas, allowing anyone and everyone to do as they reproductively please when it would be a great benefit if such individuals were given incentives to go childless or to adopt rather than to bear children. How is this distressing? This makes logical sense although maybe not the emotional sense we're so used to reacting to.

Also, note that these statements do not relate to any individual's worth or fitness for eternal life. That particular is never in question in The Urantia Book, as all of God's children stand on a equal footing with him, regardless of any defect of biology or heredity.
https://truthbook.com/urantia/faq/is-th ... ook-racist
Also, while the Urantia Book goes into detail about the origins of human races, and takes the position that human races are genetically different from each other, it would be a misinterpretation to call the book racist:
You've also said ... "I can't make this read as anything other than extremely racist and (since the white race has blue ancestry) particularly white supremacist." One of the profound functions of the teachings of The Urantia Book is to provide a greater context in which to understand your life on earth and your place in the cosmos — certainly a challenge to each and every reader of the book. You've taken these particular observations and altered their context to fit a preconceived mold. The paragraph you've referred to has nothing to do with racism or white supremacy as you've interpreted. Consider that there's probably not a person alive on the planet who doesn't have some blue ancestry (as well as some of each of the other colors) in their makeup — there's nothing exclusive to the so-called white race. There is no "black" race on Urantia, just as there are no other pure races. The indigo race, a deep purple hue appeared about 500, 000 years ago along with the other 5 colored races. Africans are of mixed racial heritage just like the rest of humanity, being a mixture primarily of the remnants of the indigo, orange, and green races.

There have been 9 pure-line races over the million year human history of the planet. None exist today — we're well on our way to full racial blending to fulfill the destiny of a one race world. Of the original 6 colored races can you point to one which The Urantia Book holds above the others? The answer is no. In fact The Urantia Book describes the attributes and shortcomings of each race as well as defining their superior and inferior traits. The only race to be given comparatively high marks is the red race which has nearly been obliterated.
https://truthbook.com/urantia/faq/is-th ... ook-racist
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

While the Urantia Book covers religious topics, there is no religion built on the Urantia Book. Someone who reads the Urantia Book should be able to see the light of God shining through all the great, enduring religions of the world.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

All races are equal, and deciding to adopt over non-adoption isn't Eugenics, which is evil. If the book endorses Eugenics the entire thing is to be thrown out. And my praise of it would be nullified.

No race has shortcomings, cultures have shortcomings but races are all equal, just like there may be a totalitarian government, but the people are good, and within each ethnicity and government there are all people of equal stature. The history of this world goes back billions of years in cyclic Yugas and Higher Dimensions, with all the ethnicities you see today in this world, and more, and they are all beautiful and perfect. And that's the way God made it. The human race is much older than millions of years.