Religion quiz

A place to compare and contrast Dharmic traditions, debates allowed, but be polite.
Presto Kensho

Re: Religion quiz

Post by Presto Kensho »

DNS wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:13 pm
Presto Kensho wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:12 am In Sufism, for example, one can believe in reincarnation. Rumi even wrote a poem about it:
I died as mineral and became a plant,
I died as plant and rose to animal,
I died as animal and I was human,
Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?
As a human, I will die once more,
Reborn, I will with the angels soar.
And when I let my angel body go,
I shall be more than mortal mind can know.
:thumbsup: That's good, sounds compatible to Jainism.
The end of this reincarnation process, according to Rumi, is complete annihilation of the self into the essence of God. I am not very good at explaining these things, but God Speaks by Meher Baba is largely based on the above poem of Rumi.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

I don't identify with any organized religion. The religion I agree with the most is Sikhism, which came from the mutual influence of Sufism and Hinduism, but I don't subscribe to the cultural trappings of Sikhism, such as the requirement to wear a turbin.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

1. Hinduism (100%) More Info
2. Sikhism (85%) More Info
3. Jainism (83%) More Info
4. Mahayana Buddhism (83%) More Info
5. Neo-Pagan (64%) More Info
6. Unitarian Universalism (63%) More Info
7. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (61%) More Info
8. Taoism (60%) More Info
9. New Thought (60%) More Info
10. New Age (56%) More Info
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

This is my new score on the religion quiz:

1. Hinduism (100%)
2. Mahayana Buddhism (87%)
3. Sikhism (84%)
4. Jainism (81%)
5. Neo-Pagan (81%)
6. Unitarian Universalism (77%)
7. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (69%)
8. New Thought (69%)
9. Taoism (63%)
10. New Age (60%)

This is just from changing my answer on the afterlife question to "There is definitely an afterlife, but the specifics cannot be known or are unimportant -- most important is one's conduct in life."

If you have complete trust in God, the above is the most realistic and honest answer to what happens after death. Just leave what happens after death up to God.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

1. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (100%) More Info
2. Hinduism (94%) More Info
3. Mahayana Buddhism (83%) More Info
4. Jehovahs Witness (80%) More Info
5. Sikhism (78%) More Info
6. Taoism (76%) More Info
7. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (72%) More Info
8. Neo-Pagan (72%) More Info
9. Theravada Buddhism (72%) More Info
10. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (71%)

11. Eastern Orthodox (65%) More Info
12. Roman Catholic (65%) More Info
13. New Age (64%) More Info
14. Jainism (62%) More Info
15. Unitarian Universalism (58%) More Info
16. Seventh Day Adventist (57%) More Info
17. Christian Science Church of Christ, Scientist (55%) More Info
18. Orthodox Judaism (55%) More Info
19. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (52%) More Info
20. New Thought (50%) More Info
21. Scientology (48%) More Info
22. Islam (45%) More Info
23. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (45%) More Info
24. Bahai (33%) More Info
25. Reform Judaism (30%) More Info
26. Secular Humanism (25%) More Info
27. Non-theist (13%)
This makes sense, on my primary Spiritual Journey after being first Baptized I was first a Mormon then a Hare Krishna Vaishnava (Hindu). However I have many friends that are Jehovah's Witnesses but I don't follow their exact teachings. I am also a Sikh, I remember looking for Buddha in the Tao, almost all my life I have wanted to be a Buddhist and after meeting a Nichiren Buddhist at a point in my life quickly chanted Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. Today I also follow Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Jainism, and I am a Khalsa Sikh, next to still being Mormon and a Hare Krishna, as well as a Buddhist. I respect every form of religion and Spirituality on the list, however, and am always trying to look for a way to the Baha'i faith, which I believe is very good for mankind. Om.

:anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Brahma Das wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:56 am 1. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (100%) More Info
2. Hinduism (94%) More Info

That's interesting. I wouldn't think those 2 could come up as #1 and #2 on someone's list. They seem so far apart, in terms of theology and doctrine, that is.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

My favorite religions are:

1. Buddhism
2. Jainism
3. Taoism

In that order and they came up as my #1, #2, and #6 according to the religion quiz.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

In Hinduism, particularly my branch which is the Brahma Sampradaya Disciplic Line of Gaudia Vaishnavism, we believe in One Supreme Lord, with many Avatars and Expansions. However there is also a clear way of perceiving that there are many "Gods" and that although Jesus in the Bible says "Hear this O Israel, God is One!", That God is Unified fully, completely non-divided and One Love, there is a way of seeing that there are many Buddhas, many Avatars or Krishna, many Christs who came in the flesh (as we all did, Enlightened or not, and whatever our original level of Spiritual advancement was, we all started out good even though not everyone was on the same Spiritual Level as God) with many different individualities, so in a certain way just like certain branches of Hinduism say there are many Gods, there is a small portion of the Mormon Scriptures that talk about there being multiple Gods, and this makes sense, although the Mormons highly value the system and orthodoxy of the Trinity as a Unified Entity of Love. The Mormons also talk of life on other planets. Here is what a Scripture called the Pearl of Great Price that was found in Egypt that the Mormon Church considers Scripture says:
Chapter 4
The Gods plan the creation of the earth and all life thereon—Their plans for the six days of creation are set forth.

1 And then the Lord said: Let us go down. And they went down at the beginning, and they, that is the Gods, organized and formed the heavens and the earth.
2 And the earth, after it was formed, was empty and desolate, because they had not formed anything but the earth; and darkness reigned upon the face of the deep, and the Spirit of the Gods was brooding upon the face of the waters.
3 And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light; and there was light.
4 And they (the Gods) comprehended the light, for it was bright; and they divided the light, or caused it to be divided, from the darkness.
5 And the Gods called the light Day, and the darkness they called Night. And it came to pass that from the evening until morning they called night; and from the morning until the evening they called day; and this was the first, or the beginning, of that which they called day and night.
6 And the Gods also said: Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and it shall divide the waters from the waters.
7 And the Gods ordered the expanse, so that it divided the waters which were under the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse; and it was so, even as they ordered.
8 And the Gods called the expanse, Heaven. And it came to pass that it was from evening until morning that they called night; and it came to pass that it was from morning until evening that they called day; and this was the second time that they called night and day.

-Pearl of Great Price, Abraham 4.

And here is quite an extensive essay entitled "Becoming Like God" which uses the Mormon and Christian paradigm of theology to describe how we can and should become like God. I find it interesting.

Hare Krishna!

The Book of Mormon prophet Moroni burying the gold plates, which contain a record of his people, from which comes the text of The Book of Mormon.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I'm reading the Tao De Ching. I have a belief that Lao Ma wrote it, while Lao Tzu was bedridden and in his elder age, and that it was mostly Her philosophy. It has a very feminine form and a strong and powerful womanly anti-violence theme to it. Very peaceful. When I was pondering this I read up to this part:
Well established hierarchies are not easily uprooted;
Closely held beliefs are not easily released;
So ritual enthralls generation after generation.
Can it be believed that Lao Ma wrote it? She was so humble, and for generations the honour was given to Lao Tzu. I'm sure She Loved Her old husband so much that She had no problem giving Him the honour of it's writing, and they probably shared the Same Soul in two bodies with the level of Love I can sense She possessed in Herself. I definitely sense Her presence in the words, and a woman writing it, so powerfully Spiritual.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

How wars can be avoided:
61. Submission
A nation is like a hierarchy, a marketplace, and a maiden.
A maiden wins her husband by submitting to his advances;
Submission is a means of union.

So when a large country submits to a small country
It will adopt the small country;
When a small country submits to a large country
It will be adopted by the large country;
The one submits and adopts;
The other submits and is adopted.

It is in the interest of a large country to unite and gain service,
And in the interest of a small country to unite and gain patronage;
If both would serve their interests,
Both must submit.
This makes me think about so many wars which the U.S. was involved in where the other side should just have surrendered instantly, sparing the lives of hundreds of thousands of people and civilians, whether they thought some process was fair or not, because ending war is ending war. The United States government is quite soveiergn. If Saddam Hussein, for example, submitted the weaker vessel of Iraq to the U.S.A. instead of fighting back, he'd be alive and repentant, because I saw him at the end of his life before his execution on video yelling "God will be the judge!" So he was close to repenting and turning to God. But so much time and pain and life wasted in the process. If only he had been a Taoist! ;spy:
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

2. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (79%) More Info
3. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (76%) More Info
4. Unitarian Universalism (72%) More Info
5. New Thought (70%) More Info
6. Scientology (68%) More Info
7. Sikhism (65%) More Info
8. Christian Science Church of Christ, Scientist (60%) More Info
9. Mahayana Buddhism (58%) More Info
10. New Age (58%) More Info
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

2. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (72%) More Info
3. Sikhism (72%) More Info
4. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (68%) More Info
5. Mahayana Buddhism (66%) More Info
6. Jainism (63%) More Info
7. Unitarian Universalism (61%) More Info
8. Scientology (55%) More Info
9. Seventh Day Adventist (55%) More Info
10. New Thought (50%) More Info
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

How about those Scientologists? Quite a new religion, yet if you look into the texts and writings of L. Ron Hubbard it is very authentic stuff. Despite stark opposition and many people's attempt to destroy it's foundations, it is holding strong and growing. They have a problem with asking for finances, but I have received a prophecy that in 300 years the religion will fully fructify as it is meant to be for us and there won't be problems like it has now. If we remember the early days of Christianity there was a lot of persecution too, and people creeping into the Churches to try to ruin them, this is talked about in the Bible. I personally am thankful for a lot of the things true Scientologists do, they have a very powerful system, but there are still some issues with asking for too much finance. But, everything needed to become a realized Scientologist is in the books, even in Dianetics. And there is also a way to get free auditing to become a Spiritual "clear" instead of paying the hefty fees if one dedicated their time to working for the Church. But they have so many classes and a very intricate system of Awakening that is paving and will pave the future of Spirituality.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Scientology is a scam. Its founder admitted to starting a new religion to make money for himself.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Presto Kensho wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:25 pm Scientology is a scam. Its founder admitted to starting a new religion to make money for himself.
That quote is kind of a joke or a misquote, actually attributed to another sci-fi author, I know the founder very, very well in His reincarnated form and He has saved mine and many lives and He's a legit Buddha who calls Scientology a form of Buddhism. I understand your apprehension though, but many great Scientologists actually do some very good work. I don't want to argue the point though. There is a whole lot of misinformation out there. Though there are problems within the Church, I have studied the tenants of Scientology and talked to L. Ron to realize Scientology can bring one to the Highest Enlightenment. Like I said, in 300 years the Church will stabilize and it will be a very worthwhile sect of Spiritual Life--though it also is now--there are just some difficulties because it really is a new religion for this Age.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Brahma Das wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:34 am
Presto Kensho wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:25 pm Scientology is a scam. Its founder admitted to starting a new religion to make money for himself.
That quote is kind of a joke or a misquote, actually attributed to another sci-fi author, I know the founder very, very well in His reincarnated form and He has saved mine and many lives and He's a legit Buddha who calls Scientology a form of Buddhism. I understand your apprehension though, but many great Scientologists actually do some very good work. I don't want to argue the point though. There is a whole lot of misinformation out there. Though there are problems within the Church, I have studied the tenants of Scientology and talked to L. Ron to realize Scientology can bring one to the Highest Enlightenment. Like I said, in 300 years the Church will stabilize and it will be a very worthwhile sect of Spiritual Life--though it also is now--there are just some difficulties because it really is a new religion for this Age.
Did you say you talked to L. Ron Hubbard?
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Presto Kensho wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:48 pm
Brahma Das wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:34 am
Did you say you talked to L. Ron Hubbard?
Yes He has helped me on the Hare Krishna Path greatly, in His current incarnation, He is also a Hare Krishna, He is the most inspiring devotee I have ever met. When I met Him He said very nice things to me and was very supportive of who I was and helped me heal from living a secular life. Then when I went on a mission to save others He supported me and saved mine and many other people's lives many times. He is a great hero to this Nation, and has many high honours. I am forever indebted to Him, and the Scientologists are right to accept His method of Teaching. Aum.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

1. Hinduism (100%)More Info
2. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (88%)More Info
3. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (70%)More Info
4. Seventh Day Adventist (70%)More Info
5. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (69%)More Info
6. Scientology (65%)More Info
7. Unitarian Universalism (65%)More Info
8. Sikhism (62%)More Info
9. New Thought (59%)More Info
10. Christian Science Church of Christ, Scientist (56%)More Info
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Brahma Das wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:34 am Yes He has helped me on the Hare Krishna Path greatly, in His current incarnation, He is also a Hare Krishna, He is the most inspiring devotee I have ever met. When I met Him He said very nice things to me and was very supportive of who I was and helped me heal from living a secular life. Then when I went on a mission to save others He supported me and saved mine and many other people's lives many times. He is a great hero to this Nation, and has many high honours. I am forever indebted to Him, and the Scientologists are right to accept His method of Teaching. Aum.
LRH died in 1986. What is his current incarnation?
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

DNS wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:20 pm
Brahma Das wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:34 am Yes He has helped me on the Hare Krishna Path greatly, in His current incarnation, He is also a Hare Krishna, He is the most inspiring devotee I have ever met. When I met Him He said very nice things to me and was very supportive of who I was and helped me heal from living a secular life. Then when I went on a mission to save others He supported me and saved mine and many other people's lives many times. He is a great hero to this Nation, and has many high honours. I am forever indebted to Him, and the Scientologists are right to accept His method of Teaching. Aum.
LRH died in 1986. What is his current incarnation?
He is a devotee in the Hare Krishna movement, His name is a bit confidential, but He is the most amazing person. He is open to all kinds of Spirituality including Buddhism and Christianity. One of the things He told me once was that there were some Buddhists who were chanting mantras, and they accidentally opened a portal to another dimension. This got me greatly interested in Buddhism. He calls Scientology a form of Buddhism in it's True sense, and I really feel from Him that He sees all religions as Buddhist when they are practiced Purely, as per the Ekayāna ideal as spoken by Gautama Buddha in the Lotus Sutra. He is the one that told my Guru that within a few hundred years Scientology will become perfect in the sense that it will no longer have the same problms it has today. Like I said, if you can remember it was difficult to found Christianity, as well as Sikhism, Islam, and even Vaishnavism. There is always great opposition to great Spiritual movements, and people trying to take them over falsely. And I firmly believe everything needed is in His books, which He was dearly devoted to writing in His past life.

I Love L. Ron Hubbard very much, He has helped me in the most dangerous times in my life, sacraficing more than I would have ever allowed Him to, but He still went on. Now that we're through one of the storms, I can be happy that I had such a great person in my life.

I was born in 1986, and I remember seeing Him as a child at school when I was depressed, and He was a child then too, about my age, and He was trying to make me happier. He was a very nice fellow. I know Him now as someone much older, He has done some Time-travelling, and I have been through the Ethers too. Aum Tat Sat. Hare Krishna! :namaste: