Religion quiz

A place to compare and contrast Dharmic traditions, debates allowed, but be polite.
Nicholas

Re: Religion quiz

Post by Nicholas »

DNS wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:15 pm I witnessed the horrible treatment converts received in synagogues and that was one of the things that turned me off to the religion.
Meaning converts to Judaism or converts away from Judaism?
Truth is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Nicholas wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:08 pm
DNS wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:15 pm I witnessed the horrible treatment converts received in synagogues and that was one of the things that turned me off to the religion.
Converts to Judaism. There was always back-talk, behind their backs with statements like:
"look at Frank over there, he's a convert, hehe, he's not a real Jew."
"look at Mary over there, she married Dr. Cohen and now she thinks she's a Jew, what chutzpah."

There was the common belief that converts are not real Jews since they don't have the genetic-line back to one of the 12 tribes.

As if there is any pure-race. I did my 23 and me genetic test and it turns out I'm all mixed-up and even have some Arab ancestry, which makes sense because people have been mixing since time immemorial. Why are European-Jews (Ashkenazis) so white looking? It's because the original Jews who migrated to Europe mixed with the locals.

I heard it has improved somewhat now, though. I went to synagogues with my birth-family back in the 1960s-1970s.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

DNS wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:52 pm Jesus is cool, has some good teachings, but for me, it's just changing one set of mythologies for another.
Wait a minute... You have read the Buddhist scriptures, right? You know what devas and nagas are, right?
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

DNS wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:22 pm
Nicholas wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:08 pm
Converts to Judaism. There was always back-talk, behind their backs with statements like:
"look at Frank over there, he's a convert, hehe, he's not a real Jew."
"look at Mary over there, she married Dr. Cohen and now she thinks she's a Jew, what chutzpah."

There was the common belief that converts are not real Jews since they don't have the genetic-line back to one of the 12 tribes.

As if there is any pure-race. I did my 23 and me genetic test and it turns out I'm all mixed-up and even have some Arab ancestry, which makes sense because people have been mixing since time immemorial. Why are European-Jews (Ashkenazis) so white looking? It's because the original Jews who migrated to Europe mixed with the locals.

I heard it has improved somewhat now, though. I went to synagogues with my birth-family back in the 1960s-1970s.
From what I've heard, black Jews are discriminated against in Israel, even though their lineage goes back to King Solomon.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Presto Kensho wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:37 am
DNS wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:52 pm Jesus is cool, has some good teachings, but for me, it's just changing one set of mythologies for another.
Wait a minute... You have read the Buddhist scriptures, right? You know what devas and nagas are, right?
Yes.

They are not essential parts of the Buddhist teachings, imo. The essential parts are the Four Noble Truths, 8-fold path.

Whereas, the resurrection of Jesus, immaculate conception are essential teachings of mainstream Christianity.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Presto Kensho wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:40 am From what I've heard, black Jews are discriminated against in Israel, even though their lineage goes back to King Solomon.
Yes, I've heard that too, which is unfortunate.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

DNS wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:04 am
Presto Kensho wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:37 am
Yes.

They are not essential parts of the Buddhist teachings, imo. The essential parts are the Four Noble Truths, 8-fold path.

Whereas, the resurrection of Jesus, immaculate conception are essential teachings of mainstream Christianity.
The Urantia Book teaches that Jesus was raised in a spiritual body, and that his fleshly body dissolved in the moment of resurrection. It also teaches that Mary and Joseph conceived Jesus by natural means.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

So we have to ask ourselves: why does the Holy Bible Teach otherwise? And who are people following here? Do the plethora of Holy Spirited Preachers simply use the Bible's account as a Skillful Means, or is it the correct account? Do the words of the New Testament speak to you as Holy Spirit?
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Brahma Das wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:53 am So we have to ask ourselves: why does the Holy Bible Teach otherwise? And who are people following here? Do the plethora of Holy Spirited Preachers simply use the Bible's account as a Skillful Means, or is it the correct account? Do the words of the New Testament speak to you as Holy Spirit?
The Gospels were written down decades after the death of Jesus, and contradict each other on the specific details of Jesus' resurrection. St. Paul, on the other hand, in the New Testament's earliest references to the resurrection, suggests that Jesus was raised in a spiritual, rather than material, body. 1 Corinthians 15:50
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Jesus always had a Spiritual Body, made of Spiritual Flesh. Jesus never had a material body because He was never a conditioned living entity. But the Urantia book which came out of some supposed psychic connection is no reason to doubt the Resurrected Christ and the Gospels. And you fully know that Mr. Kensho.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

We went through this already. Remember. ;)
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

1. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (100%) More Info
2. Seventh Day Adventist (84%) More Info
3. Hinduism (81%) More Info
4. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (74%) More Info
5. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (69%) More Info
6. Bahai (66%) More Info
7. Eastern Orthodox (64%) More Info
8. Roman Catholic (64%) More Info
9. Sikhism (64%) More Info
10. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (61%) More Info

I am no longer reading the Urantia Book. I got as much as I could from it, at least for the time being.

The church I attend on Sunday just happens to be a historically black church, because I am a major fan of Gospel music and I like the people there.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Presto Kensho wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:06 am 1. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (100%)
Quakers are cool. :thumbsup:

Like Jains, the world would be a lot better place if there were more like a couple of billion of them, rather than just a few million.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

In Satya Yuga this planet was in a very safe condition because the Yuga was characterized by the mode of goodness. In defense and prosperity, Spirituality, and in the Vasudeva State, Krishna-Prema (Pure Krishna Consciousness), this planet was very protected. But there were still interstellar ships, time travels, and threats to the planet, so celestial and Spiritual weapons were still sometimes used. A true Jain or Quaker is not against such defensive maneuvers and things when used to help others, and understands when to apply force in self defense and the defense of others, while all the while always, and always promoting Peace, for all. Namaste. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. Om Tat Sat.

But when I think of Satya, I think of this planet of Earth being as radiant as the Sun globe made of Celestial Water, so it is definitely the safest and most perfect Yuga to practice Spirituality in. Hare Krishna, Satya Yuga is millions of times safer than this age, because Satya Yuga is the Age of Pure Goodness. Where the Earth’s inhabitants are against violence.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

DNS wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:33 am
Presto Kensho wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:06 am 1. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (100%)
Quakers are cool. :thumbsup:

Like Jains, the world would be a lot better place if there were more like a couple of billion of them, rather than just a few million.
I don't actually consider myself a Quaker. I've come to doubt the reliability of this quiz. I would consider myself a mainstream Protestant, not theologically liberal but not fundamentalist either. Due to hardships in my personal life, I came to realize that I needed to accept Jesus Christ as my savior, instead of relying on my own power to be saved.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

1. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (100%)
2. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (100%)
3. Roman Catholic (99%)
4. Eastern Orthodox (99%)
5. Seventh Day Adventist (94%)
6. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (80%)
7. Orthodox Judaism (77%)
8. Jehovahs Witness (65%)
9. Islam (65%)
10. Bahai (50%)