Islam & Reincarnation

Presto Kensho

Islam & Reincarnation

Post by Presto Kensho »

It's a little known fact that reincarnation is taught in Islam. Perhaps not even among a majority of the world's Muslims are aware of this.
And you were dead,
and He brought you back to life.
And He shall cause you to die,
and shall bring you back to life,
and in the end shall gather you unto Himself. -
The Holy Koran
Like the herbage,
I have sprung up many a time
On the banks of flowing rivers.
For a hundred thousand years
I have lived and worked
In every sort of body. -
Mansur Al-Hallaj
I died as mineral and became a plant,
I died as plant and rose to animal,
I died as animal and I was human,
Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?
As a human, I will die once more,
Reborn, I will with the angels soar.
And when I let my angel body go,
I shall be more than mortal mind can know. -
Rumi
For the most part, belief in reincarnation is mostly found in Sufism, the esoteric or mystical side of Islam. The gathering unto Allah at the end of the reincarnation process refers to Fanaa, equivelant to Moksha in Hinduism and Nirvana in Buddhism.
The Koran possesses an external appearance and a hidden depth, an exoteric meaning and an esoteric meaning. -
Muhammad, the Prophet (Peace be upon him.)
Last edited by Presto Kensho on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Islam & Reincarnation

Post by DNS »

Presto Kensho wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:32 am It's a little known fact that reincarnation is taught in Islam, even among a majority of the world's Muslims.
I don't think so; in Sufism, yes, but not mainstream Islam.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

DNS wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:14 pm
Presto Kensho wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:32 am It's a little known fact that reincarnation is taught in Islam, even among a majority of the world's Muslims.
I don't think so; in Sufism, yes, but not mainstream Islam.
Yes, what I meant is that mainstream Muslims are not aware of reincarnation being taught in the Koran.
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

I remember when I was discussing about reincarnation with a Syrian Muslim friend of mine and then a Pakistani Muslim friend of mine said "No, we dont do reincarnation!" And that was the end of that conversation. :smile:
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Reminds me of the Xtian denial of rebirth, even though there are passages in NT that sure seem to suggest it.
A true mind and true intent bring truth within truth. True practice and true cultivation take the truth beyond truth. True behavior and true conduct add truth to truth. In everything and every way, be true, true, true. Master Hua
Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

Very informative thread. :anjali:

The sufi sage Inayat Khan was open to the idea of reincarntion and professed belief in it.

Sri M or Mumtaz Ali Khan, a modern spiritual master of muslim Afghan Pathan descent, in his autobiographical book 'Apprenticed to a Himalayan Master', claims to have been an orthodox Hindu yogi in his past life and had elaborated on the same in his book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_M

Interestingly, as per the book, the said Hindu yogi had discriminated against a muslim sufi who had come to him as an earnest disciple seeking instruction, on the ground of religion. Demoralised by the discrimination and rejection, the sufi had committed suicide in a nearby river.

The Hindu yogi in turn was heavily reprimanded by his Guru for showing discrimination against an another human being, and due to karmic repurcussions, was reborn in a muslim family in his next life as Sri M.

Sri M, in his present life, had played a major role in building bridges between the Hindu and Muslim communities in India. Though a Muslim, he is held in great reverence in the Hindu community and have many Hindu disciples.

He was awarded the Padma Bhushan, India's third highest civilian award, in 2020.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

A true mind and true intent bring truth within truth. True practice and true cultivation take the truth beyond truth. True behavior and true conduct add truth to truth. In everything and every way, be true, true, true. Master Hua