Hello!

We would love to meet you... say hello here.
Dharmasherab

Hello!

Post by Dharmasherab »

Hello everyone,

My screenname is Dharmasherab and I am a Buddhist. Apart from the general interest in Buddhism I like to focus on Jhanas/Dhyana and Dzogchen. I also have special interest in Jainism at an intellectual level as I find Jainism the most closely related religion to Buddhism out of all other religions.

With Metta,
Dharmasherab
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Hello!

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DP!
Dharmasherab wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:40 pm I also have special interest in Jainism at an intellectual level as I find Jainism the most closely related religion to Buddhism out of all other religions.
Me too!
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

Thank you dear DNS. I admire the efforts made to maintains these forums - Dhamma Wheel, Dharma Wheel and Dharma Paths.
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

Just a brief update. I am now a Samanera in a Theravada monastery.

In this monastery there may be other members of the Sangha who may also be users of DharmaPaths. Since we all share the same internet, the DharmaPaths admins may see this as different usernames logging in under the same IP address. I want to say the reason behind this is because we are all living in this monastery.

The same goes for my accounts in DhammaWheel, DharmaWheel and DharmaWheel Engaged.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:thumbsup: :anjali:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Dharmasherab wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:39 pm Just a brief update. I am now a Samanera in a Theravada monastery.
Where is your monastery (roughly, if you do not want to be precise)?
A true mind and true intent bring truth within truth. True practice and true cultivation take the truth beyond truth. True behavior and true conduct add truth to truth. In everything and every way, be true, true, true. Master Hua
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

Nicholas wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:13 pm Where is your monastery (roughly, if you do not want to be precise)?
I reside in a Theravada monastery in Europe.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Dharmasherab wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:55 pm
Nicholas wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:13 pm Where is your monastery (roughly, if you do not want to be precise)?
I reside in a Theravada monastery in Europe.
Thanks, after I wrote that question I saw your post at DWE and you wrote UK? Did you leave the UK monastery in preference to one in Europe?
In any case how long as a Sramanera before becoming a Bhikkhu - two years??
A true mind and true intent bring truth within truth. True practice and true cultivation take the truth beyond truth. True behavior and true conduct add truth to truth. In everything and every way, be true, true, true. Master Hua
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Thank you so much for devoting your life to Buddhism. Keep the Dharma at heart, and you will one day overflow in the Joy of Buddhahood. Namaste Dear Friend.
"But although I preach nirvana, this is not a true extinction. All phenomena from the very first have of themselves constantly borne the marks of tranquil extinction. Once the sons of the Buddha have carried out this way, then in a future existence they will be able to become Buddhas."
-The Lotus Sutra, Chapter Two, Expedient Means.
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

Nicholas wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:47 pm Thanks, after I wrote that question I saw your post at DWE and you wrote UK? Did you leave the UK monastery in preference to one in Europe?
UK is a European country. Even though I live in UK at present I could be sent to any branch monastery in the future, even outside of Europe.
Nicholas wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:47 pm In any case how long as a Sramanera before becoming a Bhikkhu - two years??
In this lineage I am in, the bare minimum is one year as a Samanera before Upasampada. However it could be longer. Its on a case by case basis.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

"UK is a European country." Hmm, Brexit said Nope, not so.
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

Brahma Das wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:47 pm Keep the Dharma at heart, and you will one day overflow in the Joy of Buddhahood.
Best to avoid recommend things to followers of paths which oneself does not follow.

But thanks anyway. :thumbsup:
Nicholas wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:35 pm "UK is a European country." Hmm, Brexit said Nope, not so.
The Brexit referendum was to make the UK exit the European Union (EU) and not the European continent. Despite the UK leaving EU it is still part of Europe, no different from Norway, Iceland and Switzerland which are all European countries but are non-members of the EU. To give further examples, Russia, Ukraine, Macedonia and Belarus are also European countries yet they are not members of EU. To expound further on this, it was in 2004 that Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia joined the EU yet even before this they were still recognised as European countries.

There are many European countries that are not members of the EU. Being a non-member of EU, doesn necessarily mean that a country is non-European.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I was thinking of continental Europe geographically. Not for over 6000 years have Ireland & G. Britain been physically part of the Continent. (Maybe Ireland never?) There are other reasons why those two islands' peoples are stand offish from European Continent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Europe

But if you will become a better bhikkhu believing as you do on this subject, please continue. This uneducated layman will still embrace his heresy.
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

Nicholas wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:31 pm I was thinking of continental Europe geographically. Not for over 6000 years have Ireland & G. Britain been physically part of the Continent. (Maybe Ireland never?) There are other reasons why those two islands' peoples are stand offish from European Continent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Europe

That is only just one way of looking at it. But the term 'European' and 'Europe' has much more nuances to it other than being solely based on geographical grounds. For example, Europe as a continent can be defined according to political grounds (once again not limited to the European Union). Its where the different nation states which are based on the European side of the Eurasian plate are referred to as being part of Europe. If we take a look at Asia, countries like Sri Lanka and Japan are island which are outside of continental Asia, yet they are Asian countries. Sri Lanka is a member of SAARC. Lets say in the further that Sri Lanka was to leave SAARC, this doesn't stop Sri Lanka from being an Asian country. Just because Japan is separated from Korea by sea its doesn't stop Japan from being an Asian country.

Lets take another continent - North America. North America as a continent includes NAFTA but is not limited to NAFTA. Greenland and Guatamala are both North American countries, but they are not NAFTA members. Likewise, countries like Iceland, Norway and UK are not members of EU but that does not stop them from being European countries even at the level of politics.

Also there are ethnic and linguistic aspects to consider. For example British people are mostly a Germanic ethnic group combined with Celtic groups. The English language which is spoken in Britain and Ireland is a Germanic language. Therefore even though the British Isles and Ireland, despite being separated from continental Europe, there if still a connection to continental Europe by ethnicity and linguistics. To expound further on this, even though Germany and Ukraine are part of continental Europe, Germany has much more in common with Britain & Ireland than with Ukraine. The same goes for Iceland (where Icelandic is also a Germanic language).

To clear up this even further lets look at the equivalents from other continents -
  • Madagascar is a part of the African continent.
  • Greenland and Cuba are part of the North American continent.
  • The Falkland Islands are part of the South American continent (even though politically its a dependent territory of British Overseas Territory.
  • Japan and Sri Lanka are part of the Asian continent.
Nicholas wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:31 pm But if you will become a better bhikkhu believing as you do on this subject, please continue. This uneducated layman will still embrace his heresy.
Me trying to clear up that UK is a European country is not relevant to whether I am a lay person or a Samanera. This is meant to be common knowledge.

So yes, I live in a European country :anjali: