Namaste, Tina and the Mani Mantra

We would love to meet you... say hello here.
Dean

Namaste, Tina and the Mani Mantra

Post by Dean »

Hello,

This is my first post. I thought I’d introduce myself and share what has brought me here.

Have you seen the Tina Turner documentary on HBO MAX? I was so amazed how she transformed extreme adversity into incredible success that I saw it several times. I wanted to know more about the spiritual side of her journey and discovered her latest book Happiness Becomes You. My takeaway from the book was that she transformed her life through positivity, tenacity and Buddhist chanting.

I’m not attracted to the culture of Tina’s form of Buddhism so I searched for a Sanskrit Buddhist chant and discovered Om Mani Padme Hum which felt like a good fit. Subsequently, I purchased a mala for counting. It took me a couple days to get the chant down. I was contemplating what “the jewel of the lotus” meant while chanting when I realized that it was call to the Greater Self. When I thought that, I felt “The Presence”… like my aura was subtly electrified. I’m still trying to figure out what “jewel” represents. There are various accounts online about what the mani mantra means. I almost think that its vague so that it’s up to individuals figure it out its mystery.

Anyways, I don’t have anyone in IRL to share my spiritual journey with so I’m sharing with you. Thank you for reading.

Om mani padme hum,
Dean
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Namaste, Tina and the Mani Mantra

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DP!

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Dean wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:48 pm Have you seen the Tina Turner documentary on HBO MAX?
I haven't seen that yet, but I did see the biographical movie What's Love Got to Do with It which was also very good.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Dean wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:48 pm
I’m not attracted to the culture of Tina’s form of Buddhism so I searched for a Sanskrit Buddhist chant and discovered Om Mani Padme Hum which felt like a good fit. Subsequently, I purchased a mala for counting. It took me a couple days to get the chant down. I was contemplating what “the jewel of the lotus” meant while chanting when I realized that it was call to the Greater Self. When I thought that, I felt “The Presence”… like my aura was subtly electrified. I’m still trying to figure out what “jewel” represents. There are various accounts online about what the mani mantra means. I almost think that its vague so that it’s up to individuals figure it out its mystery.

Om mani padme hum,
Dean
Welcome Dean! The Mani mantra is not vague, but it does have several aspects of meaning. Here is the Dalai Lama explaining a basic way to think about the words & syllables:

https://tnp.org/the-meaning-of-om-mani-padme-hum/
A true mind and true intent bring truth within truth. True practice and true cultivation take the truth beyond truth. True behavior and true conduct add truth to truth. In everything and every way, be true, true, true. Master Hua