On Your Way Home

A place to discuss Buddhism in general, Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, Dzogchen, etc.
PeterC86

Re: On Your Way Home

Post by PeterC86 »

I still found a couple of linguistic errors and inconsistencies, and I was able to expand on the explanation of Samsara and release of the so-called 'rebirth'. So just to be thorough;
Attachments
On Your Way Home Fifth Edition.pdf
(450.18 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Only some subtle changes in the content, most of them to improve the reading flow. I have put effort in the design for this version though. This version is more pleasant on the eyes, as I have switched from black on white, to light-grey on dark-green. I also made the format easier to read on phones. Seems about done now.

Some final words maybe.. it is never too late.
Attachments
On Your Way Home Seventh Edition.pdf
(314.6 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

It's nice to see that you are exploring Buddhist consciousness. It's something Gautama does for eons, lifetime to lifetime, many times rediscovering Himself here in the Saha world, yet free from Samsara. You will succeed if you don't give up on a Loving approach. I had a Revelation about you a number of weeks ago and on your method of Upaya, so I hope you will build upon it to truly show others what you want them to see about Buddhism and as your unique perspective fits in.

:namaste: Blessings.

Om.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I read the last edition. I like it a lot.

Though, Nirvana is not just a psychological entrance into the Stream. Like I said, there must be an active drive to Love others. Buddha came for a purpose, He was not purpose-less. And, Right View is important, as the Noble Eightfold Path delineates, to acheive Nibbana we have to live in the Right Way. This is the basis to all Spiritual Life. If you add this in to your premise, you will have a stronger thesis.

Also, I strongly urge you to explore the concept of God.

In the Book you wrote it says that the Universe came out of nothing and therefore the total amount of energy in the Universe is zero. In a hidden way, this attributes nothing as something, as Everything. So one must find out what thst Everything is. For example in Krishna Consciousness, Krishna is considered the Energetic and we are considered the Energy, matter being the marginal Energy, and, Krishna is considered to be whom Buddha is as well. So in a sense, even if one describes Krishna as nothing, how can one account for the entire material manifestation of planets and solar systems, galaxies and stars? This is clearly attributed then to a philosophical nothing, so what is that nothing? It is then Nibbana, the blowing out that Buddha possesses, so in that Same Way when you connect to your ultimate Nirvana, you will be able to create Universes as Krishna and His servants are able.

Thank you, Peter, I hope you know I think you are a Wise Philosopher and a Learned Buddhist. Don't worry about having to plow through the philosophical snow, as beautiful as it is, because we mostly all do it and have done it, so I consider your Upaya skillful, and you, my friend, a living Buddha. :bow:
Ensō

Post by Ensō »

PeterC86 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:36 am...
Hello Peter! Nice to see you on here sharing your knowledge. We are already acquainted. ;-)

When I first came across Buddhism, it seemed like the various schools were peddling different versions of enlightenment. This can be confusing, but the idea is that one cements themselves to one particular school and gives themselves to the practices they suggest. In doing this, the practitioner should only encounter one thing: themselves. Seeing themselves through their own judgements creates a range of anxieties, and this is the prelude to traversing the many and varied hindrances that obscure the crisp, pristine and sharp clarity of the enlightened mind. That prelude needs to be seen as knowledge but quite often it is seen in a negative light and taken to form an identity usually with narratives that are self-destructive. This is a habitual response the impetus of which is self-replicating.

It is our own identity that is the ultimate obscuration. You could say it is like a haze (ignorance) in our mind causing us to bump into things (suffering). Therefore, there needs to be various teachings that have appeal for the many minds out there. Granted, some of those teachings fall far below the wisdom threshold. I take that, but it can also be tricky to see the wisdom in some teachings, even for an enlightened mind.

For the average run-of-the-mill person, their minds are like a complex network of speak-intention, thought-intention and doing-intention - sankharas. Behind these three domains lies another intricately complex matrix of attractions and aversions, and mixed amongst all that is the collective conscious of all humanity. Suffice to say, it's a right bloody mess!

I recently gave directions to a guy in the street; I could have walked there with him, but the directions I gave were clear, concise and thorough and his faculties were such that he could carry out those instructions without a hindrance. Why is that? Because I knew the streets and landmarks and I knew that they were unlikely to change all that much during the time he was navigating them.

However, the landscape of the mind does not conform to such directions all that well, because whatever occurs in the mind is dependant upon what the senses perceive, and what the senses perceive is form. Form is always changing and so the mind is always changing. Thoughts themselves are forms governed by collective ideas centred around memories shaped by the six-sense experience - an inner fantasy world. With the mind like this, it makes it notoriously difficult to give user-friendly, street-navigation directions to towards freedom. Hence, we have the deliberate ambiguity of the teachings to help us determine our own path.

I agree Peter, sometimes the rules of those schools of thought can become a form of conditioning, and it can be quite painful trying to unravel that type of conditioning - if some can even make the recognition that the teachings have trapped them. For most, the risk is probably worth it.

Thank you for sharing your book. I have found it very valuable - but my own psychological suffering does not yet bear up.
Last edited by Ensō on Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ensō

Post by Ensō »

Nicholas wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:55 pm Your teaching reminds me of a feeble version of Krishnamurti's Vedantic maundering.

I accept & prefer traditional Paths that actually benefit, not one that promises the "dawn of a new era."
I think 'the dawn of a new era' might mean the enlightened mind has the potential to benefit humanity in ways that were never previously understood or could even be conceived by society; I wonder if that perspective might help.

It can be helpful to try and understand things from different angles. Sometimes our traditions can force us into an enclave where we cannot appreciate the fullest possible scope. It hinders situational wisdom.
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Ensō wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:53 pm
PeterC86 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:36 am...
Hello Peter! Nice to see you on here sharing your knowledge. We are already acquainted. ;-)

Thank you for sharing your book. I have found it very valuable - but my own psychological suffering does not yet bear up.
Hi Ensō,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I see that your psychological suffering has not dissolved yet. Give it time. Once the mind starts to let go, over time, it will all become clear. So long as one is still consumed by thoughts, form is not understood. So long one is still consumed by form, the formless is not understood. So long one is still consumed by the formless, Nirvana is not understood. So long as Nirvana is not understood, the practice is not understood.

I made a new version of the book, which contains what appeared to be vital information I previously thought was superfluous. It will probably help everybody who started to read the book a lot.

I have now understood the practice.

Warm regards,

Peter
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

This is the final version of the book. I can recommend it to everyone who has started to read a previous version of the book, as the information re-added to this version appeared to be vital in practice.

I made two versions for this occasion, one in A4 format, and one more suitable for phones.

Now I am truly free.

May we meet there.
Attachments
On Your Way Home Eight Edition A4.pdf
(342.2 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
On Your Way Home Eight Edition.pdf
(347.61 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

This is an excellent book. It does teach one to enter Nirvana as what the Buddha considers Stream Entry for an Arhat. But there is another level to things. The Buddha Way entails a Bodhisattvic Vow to Enlighten others to Buddhahood. Now, you, like the Buddha, preach Nirvana in your book. But you do not touch upon the subjects of Compassion and altruism, or Maitri, except at the very end. I feel these subjects are the heart of Buddhism, and one must Love exactly like the Buddha Loves, forever, in order to be a Buddha. I know you are a Buddha, but consider studying the Lotus Sutra and finding the next step of how to preach beyond the level of Arhatship, into the stewarding of people into full Buddhahood. There are even those who consider the Path of the Bodhisattva superior to the Arhat, so you will will encounter that philosophy as well and it is an important one. To me, even Buddha Himself is a true Arhat, but He is an Arhat that has achieved full Enlightenment, not just entered into Nirvana and fully blown out the Kleshas. Bodhisattva Arhats exist too. Your book focuses on Arhats who escape suffering, and about an entrance into Nirvana, but take a look here, from Lotus Sutra:
I have for their sake established expedient means,
preaching the way that ends all suffering.
And showing them nirvana.
But although I preach nirvana,
this is not a true extinction.
All phenomena from the very first
have of themselves constantly borne the marks of
tranquil extinction.
Once the sons of the Buddha have carried out this path,
then in a future existence they will be able to become Buddhas.
I have employed the power of expedient means
to unfold and demonstrate this doctrine of three vehicles,
but the World-Honored Ones, every one of them,
all preach the single vehicle way.
Now before this great assembly
I must clear away all doubts and perplexities.
There is no discrepancy in the words of the Buddhas,
there is only the one vehicle, not two.
For numberless kalpas in the past
countless Buddhas who have now entered extinction,
a hundred, thousand, ten thousand, million types
in numbers incapable of calculation-
such World-Honored Ones,
using different types of causes, similes, and parables,
the power of countless expedient means,
have expounded the characteristics of teachings.
These World-Honored Ones
have all preached the doctrine of the single vehicle,
converting countless living beings
and causing them to enter the Buddha way.
And these great sage lords,
knowing what is desired deep in the minds
of the heavenly and human beings and the other living things
throughout all the worlds,
have employed still other expedient means
to help illuminate the highest truth.
-The Lotus Sutra, Chapter 2, Expedient Means.

True extinction is a Buddhahood beyond an entrance into Nibbana, and it is an extinction that embraces Omnipotence and Omniscience and a full equality with Krishna, that makes one Divine. This is the secret of the Mystic Law of the Lotus Sutra, and although Buddhism doesn’t mention that Gautama is Krishna in disguise very often, it is mentioned in the Lotus Sutra that a certain Buddha has the Radiance of Narayan, and Narayan is the four handed Vishnu form of Krishna. So there is much importance there. Buddhism is a perfect tradition, so stay with it, and I hope you find a way to be yourself among many, many Buddhists, for they need your wisdom, and when you are ready, come back to the Spiritual World fully. You are already there, and this world is just like a dream for your waking Buddha Body that Emanates down here in an expansion, for the sake of all sentient beings. Your Skillful grasp of Buddhist concepts is very impressive, especially in the most recent Edition of your book. Consider writing more, and more Buddhist works, staying on the Buddha Way. You are the Light of the Buddha. Om.

Namaste.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

Brahma Das.

;)