On Your Way Home

A place to discuss Buddhism in general, Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, Dzogchen, etc.
PeterC86

On Your Way Home

Post by PeterC86 »

Hello,

After my liberation I posted my teaching on the Dhammawheel forum, because I was under the impression that Nirvana should be the same for every branch of Buddhism, and that only the path towards it differs. The intent of posting my teaching there, was to help students of Theravada to reach Nirvana, by being able to compare my path with the Theravada path, as my path also follows the Suttapitaka.

After some discussions on that forum, I came to the realization that not only Theravada, but many others branches of Buddhism seem to give their own spin on Nirvana, as every branch I investigated seems to cling to some content in the dharma they teach. Which means that non of them actually teaches the way to Nirvana, as Nirvana is unconditioned.

Whether or not this applies to the branch/teacher you study under, can very easily be checked by looking if in the teaching there is any form of conditioning; in the form of certain precepts, rules, or means that should be followed or conformed to. If this is the case, then that teaching is actually a doctrine, and leads to clinging to that doctrine, by being obliged to follow or conform to these precepts, rules, or means. These precepts, rules, or means are often justified, with the argument that to reach Nirvana, one should abandon all of one's desires, as upon reaching Nirvana one would be liberated from all his suffering (dissatisfaction). If one has no desires, one is not dissatisfied, so the ignorant one is inclined to believe that by giving up everything he or she is, he or she will get to Nirvana.

Yes, Nirvana is the release of suffering (dissatisfaction), but not by trying to abandon that what we are; social animals with a strong intellect; human beings with a natural instinct for habituation with mating instincts, for our survival. Trying to abandon that, is trying to become something which we are not. Getting to Nirvana is not trying to become anything, it is dissolving into that what you always were; feeling, smelling, tasting, hearing, seeing, and thinking.

The Buddha achieved this by following the middle way; his middle way. The teaching I present here explains that this middle way is different for everybody, and it is the only way that can lead to Nirvana, as Nirvana is unconditioned. By doing so, my teaching also dissolves itself, and is therefore not a doctrine. There is also nothing to follow; the book explains everything. So there is no need to go into a monastery, as monasticism only serves those who abandon that what they are, and become dependent upon others to survive.

By following the next link you will arrive at the central topic in which I linked all the discussions and threads which seemed important, and which lead me to posting the teaching here. Maybe important to know is that I didn't create that topic, but it was a split off from a discussion about supramundane right view, in which it came apparent that Theravada clings to right view, and my teaching doesn't. https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 0395e57117

The only interest I have is to put this teaching somewhere where it can easily be found for those who want to find it. That is also the intent of me posting the teaching here.

I wish everyone on the path swift progress. I will try to respond to every question or remark posted here.

Warm regards,
Peter

P.s. English is not my native language, so please forgive me for any linguistical errors. If you find some in the book, I am happy to hear about them, as I will keep editing the book.

'An improved third version of this book can be found in the post below.'
PeterC86

Re: On Your Way Home

Post by PeterC86 »

I am glad to have finished the third edition of the book. A lot has changed in relation to the previous version. Although the previous version has a complete explanation of the path, it is overly detailed in parts that are not strictly necessary to understand the path. These parts could create a lot of distraction and confusion for the reader to understand what it is really about. I see that now, after I took some distance from the book and the path, and had a considerable amount of time to reflect upon it. It was my best attempt to explain the path, until now.

In addition to scrapping the overly detailed parts, I came to the realization that I could also summarize certain steps in the mind, making the whole exercise shorter and easier for the student. I also fixed most of the linguistic errors and inconsistencies, and I improved the layout of the book. Finally, I put a lot of effort into improving the flow of my writings. So the essence of the book is still the same, but it reads like a different book.
Attachments
On your way home Third Edition.pdf
(449.26 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by PeterC86 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Wonderful! I sense the cool and clear stream of Nirvana in you. I certainly beleive that there are some issues with people striving for such the the Same goal in such different ways that they don't tend to recognize the Same goal is the Same for all, and this gets them to conceptualize and imagine it more than determine to achieve it with a clear mind of Stream-entry, with a Oneness of Purpose. I beleive that as soon as one truly starts to say that one can Realize in such in such a way, but not in another that is actually a valid form of Spiritual Realization that they yet have abandoned out of prejudice, they lose the :"": other :"": means of Realization that is actually right in front of them as well, at least by some form, and this lessens their toolkit for Enlightenment. I beleive everyone who has come to Nirvana and Buddhahood has realized the Spiritually Universal Nature of it, just as when Buddha came down from His meditation at Gaya He stated that we are all of the Same Consciousness. Without seeing Unity in diversity, it is difficult to bring everyone together as Siddhartha has decided for us to, because Siddhartha's goal is to liberate all beings and make them Buddhas, non-different from Him, and we are all the Same type of being. And what is that? It has been described in many ways, but a great way of describing it is that we are all capable of the greatest Love, for Love is indestructible and makes us who we are. Om.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I'm reading some of that thread. The entire basis for Buddha's Buddhism is the Noble Eightfold Path and the four Noble Truths. If you don't practice Right View, or "don't care" anymore as if being God is some kind of synthetic drug high, and that that is the goal of liberation for you, you will become a demon if you take that type of pseudo-logic down to it's falsely conclusive path. And that type of ignorance which some have jokingly called bliss is always temporary. Removing oneself from suffering does not entail ignoring it, and doing such things such as not respecting the human body, other people's emotions, and the sacredness of Love. The ability to distinguish between right and wrong is given to us by God, it is something that continuates our compassion, and to be fully liberated one must always have this sense. In Heaven and the Amida Buddha Lands the liberated souls are crying tears of Love with us, not because they are oblivious and no longer feel pain, they don't feel pain because they are safe from it, but they understand it, and understand that it is evil, and understanding Enlightenment is what one brings us into a life of conscience in Buddhahood.
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Brahma Das wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:06 am I'm reading some of that thread. The entire basis for Buddha's Buddhism is the Noble Eightfold Path and the four Noble Truths. If you don't practice Right View, or "don't care" anymore as if being God is some kind of synthetic drug high, and that that is the goal of liberation for you, you will become a demon if you take that type of pseudo-logic down to it's falsely conclusive path.
You can find the four noble truths in the book. You will not find The noble eightfold path in the book, because it is conditioning and Theravada doctrine. Any conditioning can never lead to Nirvana; the unconditioned.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Well if you spinoff and create your own form of Buddhism and don't respect the Sangha and Ekayāna then you haven't even properly accepted your refuge yet. I'm not downplaying the importance of your Spiritual experience, but please trust the Buddhas that have brought this Buddhism to you. Whatever that you do on your own that is against the doctrine set forth by Siddhartha may be what you see as your own journey, but in a way when you do that you are excluding others who know the truth of the Buddha, and so you exclude yourself from seeing the Highest Enlightenment within yourself and coming to it correctly. Don't think that what you are doing isn't worthwhile and there isn't merit to your path, but all the while realize the ground you're exploring won't bring you to the truth, it is showing you what you are running away from, there's something worthwhile you left behind. But be careful. Pursue morality, pursue Love, pursue compassion, pursue forgivness, and pursue Buddhahood. Pursue the most kind-hearted Buddhist qualities and strengthen your own Buddha-Nature, so that when the tempest comes to try to destroy that you have built, you will have a house made of stone built on solid rock, able to save your life and the lives of those you Love. Om.
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Every interpretation of the Middle Way is not the Middle Way. The Middle Way is dissolving into the middle between every distinction, ending between neither perception nor non-perception. So the Middle Way is not anything. Therefore, every conditioning, or doctrine, is not what the Buddha taught, and cannot lead to the unconditioned. If the Middle Way is interpreted as anything (conditioning), it cannot lead to the unconditioned.

Buddha taught the path from our conditioned self to the unconditioned self, by teaching that Middle Way. So every doctrine did not properly understand the teachings of the Buddha. The direct words of the Buddha were not written down by himself, the first suttas were written a couple of hundred years after his death. So the ones who wrote down his teachings, specifically the teachings on how to attain Nirvana, didn't understand them properly, and they wrote their interpretation of them. That is why no one who follows a doctrine reaches Nirvana, and everybody who follows one gets stuck on the way. The people who wrote the suttas interpreted the Middle Way to be something they could grasp. The path, Middle Way, is not to be grasped, it is learning not to grasp.

Now either you can open your mind for the possibility that the previous might be the case, or you stay in your belief. If you choose the first, I can offer you my book, if you choose the latter, I wish you all the best.
Last edited by PeterC86 on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I am glad you wrote your book. Just don't get caught in materialism. Also, there is great truth and merit in everything the Buddha's Sangha have done to protect and progress the Dharma. Can you find the living Buddhas of today and yesterday? They are there. Can you see them accepting the Dharma as written down and taught by the Theravadins, the Mahayanists, and the Vajrayanists? Don't you know there are Buddhas in all of these fields of Buddhism, converting and bringing others to Buddhism by the power of the Ekayāna? You are not alone in your certain beliefs, and you have many friends who Love your words and your decision to become Enlightened, but you aught to feel the Same way for others who have and do who have adopted the Middle-Way as what has been understood to be Buddha's Teachings by modern Buddhists. What the Buddhas preach and say is true and not false. The Middle-Way is not a material conditioning in itself, but by your reasoning even Buddhist concepts are a conditioning, which they are not when properly used to utilize the blowing out of all material desires as one enters Nirvana. Om.
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

My friend, I hold no belief. Everything I write is empty of an essence. It is you that ascribes meaning to my words. Words are, like everything, of dependent arising, and therefore empty of essence. If a Dharma teaches something different, then that Dharma is not a true Dharma.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I urge you to read the Lotus Sutra, which can be found online. It contains the key to Enlightenment.
The Buddha said to Shariputra, "A wonderful Law such as this is preached by the Buddhas, the Thus Come Ones, at certain times. But like the blooming of the udumbara, such times come very seldom. Shariputra, you and the others must believe me. The words that the Buddhas preach are not empty or false.

"Shariputra, the Buddhas preach the Law in accordance with what is appropriate, but the meaning is difficult to understand. Why is this? Because we employ countless expedient means, discussing causes and conditions and using words of simile and parable to expound the teachings. This Law is not something that can be understood through pondering or analysis. Only those who are Buddhas can understand it. Why is this? Because the Buddhas, the World-Honored Ones, appear in the world for one great reason alone. Shariputra, what does it mean to say that the Buddhas, the World-Honored Ones, appear in the world for one great reason alone?
-The Lotus Sutra, Chapter Two: Expedient Means.

Ponder on Sunyata, meditate on it, on that form of Emptiness, but understand that the Buddhas are not empty of Love, for they are Love and Love is the basis of Sunyata. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Don't become disheartened. I deeply respect your personal journey through Buddhism, and you will succeed at whatever you determine to accomplish in Buddhism. But you must understand what you are determined for, otherwise how can you be determined that for which you do not notice? As soon as you notice the Buddha-mind within yourself, you can expand it into the present moment and Realize that as your Enlightenment. You will be forever blessed in the stage of non-regression, free from outflows, and in the final Nirvana, meeting your destiny as a Buddha, to Love others forever.

I accept the validity of your book. I happened to download the Second Edition the other day and skim through it, however, you are deep in a mixture of Stream-entry merited Upaya which is wonderful but also your own conjected ideas about the matter, and although there is merit in this, there are some false claims in your book you need to work out with further meditation and analasys. You seem to have more of an escapist attitude towarde Nirvana, which is fine, you can use Nibbana to escape the material world, but you just have to do it properly, through faith and perseverance that that's what you want to do, that you want to enter Mahaparinirvana. Buddhism is about Loving others, always remember that, I think you have a clear understanding of that, so you have entered the Stream, and once you work everything out fully about the meaning of life and the purpose of the Buddhas and bring your own purpose to be the Same, you will see your Enlightenment. Om.