25,000 posts!

Learn about the goals of the forum, and the rules of the community.
DNS
Site Admin

25,000 posts!

Post by DNS »

We finally hit 25,000 posts! And only about 7,000 of those are from me. :tongue: :lol:

It also helped getting there by adding in most of the threads from DWE.

Nicholas

Re: 25,000 posts!

Post by Nicholas »

Nah, post numbers are just from we who like to show off.

What really matters is number of views. I will guess 50,000+ ??
A true mind and true intent bring truth within truth. True practice and true cultivation take the truth beyond truth. True behavior and true conduct add truth to truth. In everything and every way, be true, true, true. Master Hua
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Nicholas wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:35 pm Nah, post numbers are just from we who like to show off.

It’s hard to tell the real number of views because there are so many computer bots that scan forums looking to advertise spam. For example we had over 10,000 users online at one time in 2019 (see stats at bottom of home page), which of course are not real people.

Posts shows real usage and that’s where it shows how far behind we are from the other 2 main DW forums.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

DNS wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:57 pm
Nicholas wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:35 pm Nah, post numbers are just from we who like to show off.

It’s hard to tell the real number of views because there are so many computer bots that scan forums looking to advertise spam. For example we had over 10,000 users online at one time in 2019 (see stats at bottom of home page), which of course are not real people.

Posts shows real usage and that’s where it shows how far behind we are from the other 2 main DW forums.
Forum usage can better be determined by posts beneficent or uplifting (or not) effect on viewers. Of course that is not measurable by machines or worldly minds.

As for bots... do they actually "read" every single post or even the new posts of the day or week? Or do they just "join" and you have to evaporate them right away?
A true mind and true intent bring truth within truth. True practice and true cultivation take the truth beyond truth. True behavior and true conduct add truth to truth. In everything and every way, be true, true, true. Master Hua
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Nicholas wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:31 pm As for bots... do they actually "read" every single post or even the new posts of the day or week? Or do they just "join" and you have to evaporate them right away?
Sort of; the computer bots read posts looking to make spam responses which it does, about 1 to 10 per day. I disapprove their posts and ban them. They usually make some mostly off topic reply and then add spam advertising links in their posts or their signature. Their posts never make it to the forum view, but that doesn't stop the spammers, they keep trying.

Gems of wisdom thread for example has over 423,000 views. Great thread, but not real people, mostly bots "reading" it. Same thing with my Dhamma Wiki encyclopedia, it is now up to about 200 million "views" overall for all pages, but the real number probably around 1 million.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

DNS wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:36 pm
Nicholas wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:31 pm As for bots... do they actually "read" every single post or even the new posts of the day or week? Or do they just "join" and you have to evaporate them right away?
Sort of; the computer bots read posts looking to make spam responses which it does, about 1 to 10 per day. I disapprove their posts and ban them. They usually make some mostly off topic reply and then add spam advertising links in their posts or their signature. Their posts never make it to the forum view, but that doesn't stop the spammers, they keep trying.

Gems of wisdom thread for example has over 423,000 views. Great thread, but not real people, mostly bots "reading" it. Same thing with my Dhamma Wiki encyclopedia, it is now up to about 200 million "views" overall for all pages, but the real number probably around 1 million.
What a shame and irritant! There must be a techie way to stop their harassment?
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Do you really think that bots can't assess a single shred of Dharma? Or what if it's people from far away lands. Or other planets. Or People from the Spiritual World. I hope they can register and share their stuff, or land on our planet at the right time to Assess the damage of ignorance of those who don't respect true Love. Onward we go, it seems that we are in Dwarpa Yuga, and man do I want to stay as opposed to go back to some dangerous part of Kali Yuga. As Kalki prepares Satya Yuga for full function over the whole planet in system time, we may get there within 40 months. Happy 25,000 postings you guys! :buddha1:

Let's be careful and wait for a better tomorrow. Aum. :group: :meditate:
"But although I preach nirvana, this is not a true extinction. All phenomena from the very first have of themselves constantly borne the marks of tranquil extinction. Once the sons of the Buddha have carried out this way, then in a future existence they will be able to become Buddhas."
-The Lotus Sutra, Chapter Two, Expedient Means.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Nicholas wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:33 pm What a shame and irritant! There must be a techie way to stop their harassment?
There are some counter-spam-bot measures, for example when registering for a new account, you are required to complete some puzzle, numbers, letters, etc. Although the spammers are getting high-tech too and might be getting around even that. Also, some countries have very cheap labor, so actually hire people on computers to just surf the net, looking for places to spam. And that way the human could solve the puzzles.
Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

It almost seems like yesterday that the forum hit the 10000 post number. In less than a year, the forum has hit the 25000 number. This shows momentum in action, imho. :thumbsup:

But I sincerely hope the forum will be an oasis of positivity, wisdom and good vibes in the present Kali yuga, and give people toolsets that will help to end psychological suffering or reduce it considerably. :anjali:

Cheers to all forum posters. :clapping: :beer:
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon