Top 100 most influential people of all time

A place to compare and contrast Dharmic traditions, debates allowed, but be polite.
DNS
Site Admin

Top 100 most influential people of all time

Post by DNS »

This is pretty interesting, I agree with most of their rank placements, but not all.

Mahavira made the cut! But just barely at #100.
Brahma Das

Re: Top 100 most influential people of all time

Post by Brahma Das »

The only people who are truly influential are those who change the world with their Love and compassion. There is an infinite amount of such people, and they are pure good. On our planet it is the Spiritual Leaders and their followers as well as the companions of Loving-care people have even in their daily lives that constituate such people, and like a web of Love in our society, it is such people who make the world better and make it grow. Only good has any real, and in fact Eternal influence, while anything less than good is temporary and is like a vapor in the wind. When we all attain liberation from this world, none of the negativity will any longer even be thought of for an instant, while the smallest actions of compassion will be remembered forever.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Also, man-oh-man I wish they would stop depicting Mahavira and true-Jains as meditating or walking around naked. Mahavira never did such things. It is a false attitude perpetuated by people in the fallen Digambara parts of modern Jainism, because they do not know how to renounce the world and material attachments properly. The Svetambara sect all wear clothing and fully believe that liberation can be achieved in this age, why would Mahavira have been any different?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Brahma Das wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:05 pm The only people who are truly influential are those who change the world with their Love and compassion. There is an infinite amount of such people, and they are pure good.
:thumbsup: :namaste:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I would probably have put Jesus as #1 since Christianity is the largest religion and is the most widespread. Islam is mostly the Middle East and Africa, whereas there is hardly any country in the world that doesn't have at least some Christians.

I'd put Charles Darwin as #2 since it was very revolutionary in giving us the knowledge that we are not separate from animals.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Brahma Das wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:11 pm Also, man-oh-man I wish they would stop depicting Mahavira and true-Jains as meditating or walking around naked. Mahavira never did such things. It is a false attitude perpetuated by people in the fallen Digambara parts of modern Jainism, because they do not know how to renounce the world and material attachments properly. The Svetambara sect all wear clothing and fully believe that liberation can be achieved in this age, why would Mahavira have been any different?
:thumbsup:

I have been trying to find the history of Jainism to see which sect came first and all I can find is that they had their schism at the same time and branched off apparently at the same time. I haven't been able to find any evidence of which came first, but I'd like to believe it was Svetambara that was first.

Digambara is too extreme and nudity is just gross and inappropriate. What if they were in a cold climate? :o
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Charles Darwin's theory is interesting, but it brings too much confusion. He relies on a lot of atheistic ideas, ignoring Scriptural injunctions on the simultaneous creation of Species, and the realization that there are higher beings that guide the evolution of Species instead of such things simply as mutation, etc, and what he proposes. There are many, many ways a Species can evolve, not just the way Darwin proposes, and those that hold onto his theory tend to lose the Spiritual sight of things. The only thing I think he did that is of primary consequence with regards to his theory is start a massive discourse in the atheistic community asking for a basis on our origin, which includes what you mentioned to a degree. And ultimately, until someone arrives at the truth, they are still searching, even if the beginning of their path began with a misunderstanding, at least they have philosophically started their questioning of where they came from, creating self-reflection. Darwin was Christian in a large part of his life, and even had great discourses with many Theologians on how Species could have come to have been made originally by God, and some preliminary aspects of his theories have been used in Christian sermons. However, Darwin eventually strayed from this and it created problems in the scientific community. I wish Darwin had thought more about God than he thought about matter and evolution, because the secrets of how things work in the material world are revealed to the devotees of God who seek them, by God, but those who try to find meaning outside of Spiritual Perfection tend to misunderstand where the imperfections are coming from.

Yes, and Jesus is also highly regarded by Muslims. What I want to say is that in the Krishna-Consciousness movement we were originally taught that He is a Shaktyavesha Avatar of Krishna, someone empowered by God and fully imbued with His qualities to spread God-Consciousness. Muhammed and Buddha are taught to be the same. In my personal devotion to Jesus Christ I have quickly realized that He is God, and directly Krishna. I also have come to realize that the Srimad Bhagavatam when it stated that Krishna would come as Lord Buddha wasn't using a euphemism, and that Krishna is Buddha directly. Also Muhammed is the same Krishna as well (meaning He was also Jesus--this is quite an esoteric truth to many Muslims), and so is Guru Gobind Singh of the Sikh faith, among others in the Khalsa and lineage of Gurus. The first Jain Tirthankara is also considered to be Krishna, and He is written about in the Srimad Bhagavatam briefly. The Original Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krishna, is always there to create and propigate the Dharma in this world, and what He says is ultimately true in the Bhagavad Gita: "Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion—at that time I descend Myself."

Anyone and everyone can be completely equal to Krishna in all respects, and even become Him in an instant, but it is only possible with Eternal Devotion to God. Remember, the Bible states, "All things are possible with God."

With regards to false aestheticism, the biggest and hugest problem with any so called aesthetic or so called renunciate not wearing their clothes is the moral aspect of it. It can create an emotional shock for any person to see someone naked, even for an animal and even can make a bug feel uncomfortable, and also an invisible Spirit. So it is not a good idea to take ones clothes off except in private. That is why the Svetambara sect generally all wear white, as a sign of purity and also as a silent collective acknowledgment of the respect of wearing such clothes.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Brahma Das wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:05 pm The only people who are truly influential are those who change the world with their Love and compassion. There is an infinite amount of such people, and they are pure good.
If only. There are more than we think, but boundless numbers, not true at all.

Here is the list in text format:

https://www.biographyonline.net/people/ ... ntial.html

Of course this is not a list of only those individuals who changed world for good. But it is valuable to show how humanity & the rest of this planet are influenced by the thoughts, words & deeds of single persons.

Not having Krishna on the list at all is a big flaw.
May all seek, find and follow the Path of Buddhas.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Nicholas wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:03 pm
If only. There are more than we think, but boundless numbers, not true at all.

Here is the list in text format:

https://www.biographyonline.net/people/ ... ntial.html

Of course this is not a list of only those individuals who changed world for good. But it is valuable to show how humanity & the rest of this planet are influenced by the thoughts, words & deeds of single persons.

Not having Krishna on the list at all is a big flaw.
Well, although there is a large amount of people in the material world, despite it being vast with very, very many Universes, there is also the Spiritual World, in which there are an infinite amount of people who constantly change the world for the better, because the Spiritual World is infinite and Eternal. These infinite beings even help the Saha world, from the Spiritual World, and they don't even have to descend to do so. So in that way there truly are infinite beings who change the world for the better, and yes, the Fountainhead of it all is Krishna.

Krishna is the most perfect name to call God according to A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, so any Avatar, expansion, or plenary portion of Krishna can be and should also be called Krishna. One day, when we all reach full Enlightenment, everyone will be equal to Krishna, and will be worthy and able to be called Krishna, and will be called and be Krishna.