The Urantia Book

A place to compare and contrast Dharmic traditions, debates allowed, but be polite.
Presto Kensho

The Urantia Book

Post by Presto Kensho »

This is my new score on the religion test, as influenced by the Urantia Book:

1. Hinduism (100%) More Info
2. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (86%) More Info
3. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (78%) More Info
4. Sikhism (71%) More Info
5. Unitarian Universalism (70%) More Info
6. Scientology (65%) More Info
7. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (63%) More Info
8. Seventh Day Adventist (63%) More Info
9. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (59%) More Info
10. Eastern Orthodox (59%) More Info

I first read the Urantia Book about ten years ago, and I believe it's one of the best spiritual books of the 20th century.
Presto Kensho

Re: The Urantia Book

Post by Presto Kensho »

Like the Bahai faith, the Urantia Book teaches a form of interplanetary reincarnation, in which the divine nature is reborn into higher and higher spiritual worlds until it merges with God.

The Urantia Book is also very similar to Hinduism, but without the cultural trappings. The Urantia Book's name for our divine nature is the Thought Adjuster, which is equivalent to atman or Buddha-nature.

The Urantia Book also differentiates between the personal God, the Universal Father, which is equivalent to Ishvara, and the impersonal formless reality, God the Supreme, which is equivalent to Brahman.

Like religions that teach a divine feminine or Sophia, the Urantia Book teaches about the Mother Spirit.

Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

The Urantia Book claims to have been revealed by spiritual beings who utilized human source material. Because of this, the Urantia Book doesn't claim to be infallible:
We full well know that, while the historic facts and religious truths of this series of revelatory presentations will stand on the records of the ages to come, within a few short years many of our statements regarding the physical sciences will stand in need of revision in consequence of additional scientific developments and new discoveries. These new developments we even now foresee, but we are forbidden to include such humanly undiscovered facts in the revelatory records. Let it be made clear that revelations are not necessarily inspired. The cosmology of these revelations is not inspired. It is limited by our permission for the co-ordination and sorting of present-day knowledge. While divine or spiritual insight is a gift, human wisdom must evolve.
https://urantia-book.org/newbook/ub/ppr101_4.html
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Everyone is free to decide and choose whichever path they wish. Yet, the general rule regarding channelled teachings, whether heard inwardly or written automatically is that one should avoid them and not rely or practice according to them.

Especially those that appeared in the last 150 years or so with only general semantic similarities to ancient traditional paths. The latter have a proven track record of producing virtuous, wise & altruistic Sages.

They may appear wonderful at first, but in the long run they usually turn out to be an open door for demonic forces.

[And yes, I studied the Urantia book years ago.]
Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Nicholas wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:22 pm They may appear wonderful at first, but in the long run they usually turn out to be an open door for demonic forces.
Please elaborate.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

I've never considered the Urantia Book an inerrant book. If it was given by celestial beings needing to communicate down to our level, then it's not meant to be taken 100% literally, due to the limitations of human language and human understanding.

When assessing a book which claims to be a spiritual revelation, what ultimately matters is whether or not its fundamental concepts resonate with you as an individual.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Presto Kensho wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:05 pm
While divine or spiritual insight is a gift, human wisdom must evolve.
Human Wisdom must always be One with God's Spirit and in full Love, Metta, and harmony with the Divine. All wisdom must be Divine Wisdom, for God puts the wisdom of the wise to shame with His Divine Glory.

As it is written in the Bible, 1 Corinthians 1:27:
But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
More:
Christ Crucified Is God’s Power and Wisdom

18For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;

the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.” c

20Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

26Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29so that no one may boast before him. 30It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.” d
-1 Corinthians 1

Without One's life being entirely devoted to Only Divine Concerns, there is the possibility of the entrance of unwholesome entities. So we must only purse the Divine and nothing but that, and not get caught up in the plethora of perspectives. Always meditate on, glorify, and chant the glories of God. One may build a skyscraper out of their psychic energy, but if there is no need for such a skyscraper, they may as well have built a mud hut in months of muddy labor for God in the wilderness.

With that being said I understand that the Urantia Book has a large part of it devoted to Jesus, however, though much of it is, it is not entirely divinely inspired, as it has things in it as Jesus not being born of a Virgin, not walking on water, not performing some Biblical miracles that were taught in the Bible, and not being part of God's Trinity, and such, which are clear parts of the Christian Faith. The Urantia Book although being an attempt at true Spirituality falls short of being Scripture because it looks for it's own glorification at the means of it's attainment, the said psychicism, as opposed to communion with the Holy Spirit that the Saints uses which if you want to say, is True psychic nature, being in prayer with God, not some Celestial beings with limitations and their own agenda sending in information. Truth comes from God. Although God is present in the Book, it seems like there is too much interference to me, though I don't doubt that the Celestial beings who inspired the message had genuine concerns. They are not non-Christians, but as you say their message was presented imperfectly.

Don't give up on your Spiritual Perspective however, everything you sense is true probably is, you are just exploring a certain perspective for someone here, but part of the importance of Spiritual Life is constant Advancement, even though, Presto Kensho, I know that you are already a full Self-Realized Saint.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Brahma Das, have you read the Urantia Book?
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

The two most impressive things about the Urantia Book are its sheer scope, in the amount of concepts it covers, as well as its internal consistency, that the book doesn't contradict itself in communicating these vast concepts.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Also it's take on evolution is not Divine, but mundanely modernly pseudoscientific, nor does it mention the cyclic Yugas taught in the Vedas and in Buddhism. It's estimate of the age of the Earth is also very mundane, and doesn't factor in the full Spiritual. I am not saying that there isn't clear meaning and Spiritual intent to how it was written, though maybe it was just our Spiritual Friends from far away to bring us closer to the Truth, or reflected off of what they thought we could understand from our own culture, but for clear guidance it is better to go to the Spiritual Traditions that come down from God Directly. I once even heard a Christian minister say 'If you start worshipping angels, you're in trouble!" So we must worship God and His Direct and inerrant revelations, and connect to the truths given to us by the Holy Spirit and though there is much Holy Spirit in the Urantia Book too, it must be read as given through the mind of the psychic who may not have fully understood it in full, and therefore even though He was chosen to propigate the work, accuracy in Spiritual Truth may have been misinterpreted. The book is not a mistake, it is good, but it is not Scripture.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Presto Kensho wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:55 pm I've never considered the Urantia Book an inerrant book. If it was given by celestial beings needing to communicate down to our level, then it's not meant to be taken 100% literally, due to the limitations of human language and human understanding.

When assessing a book which claims to be a spiritual revelation, what ultimately matters is whether or not its fundamental concepts resonate with you as an individual.
You can only follow your best lights. Yet, to focus mainly on resonance that appeals to your personal mind is too limiting. What other sources, outer & inner does one consult to compare & contrast what the "celestial beings" chatter about?

As the great Guru Shankara from the Vedanta tradition emphasized:
17. The man who discriminates between the Real and the unreal, whose mind
is turned away from the unreal
, who possesses calmness and the allied virtues,
and who is longing for Liberation, is alone considered qualified to enquire after Brahman.

18. Regarding this, sages have spoken of four means of attainment, which alone
being present, the devotion to Brahman succeeds, and in the absence of which, it fails.

19. First is enumerated discrimination between the Real and the unreal...
Let us ignore any motive for Liberation and any wish to enquire after Brahman or Truth. Surely the value of knowing or having some understanding of what is Unreal is more important for an aspirant, than what we now think is Real.

One principle I am fond of regarding these channelled teachings is the supposed "need" of 'celestial' beings to come down for us. That suggests a too flattering value & importance for ordinary humans. Real spiritual paths are called Paths because we have to tread it upward, inwardly & outwardly. We gain clarity & confidence in what we "know" as we go above and beyond our feelings of resonance.

Be cautious & seek to understand maya & falsity & unreality also.
Last edited by Nicholas on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Presto Kensho wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:04 pm Brahma Das, have you read the Urantia Book?
I don't disagree that it is impressive, I have only read about it, and something so vast and profound as I see here:

https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/urantia-book-online

Devoted to Jesus Christ is obviously not a rib or a lie or an attempt at falsehood, I believe you when you say that it is a wonderful book and I will take a deep look into it. I don't mean to blaspheme it either, which I won't, it is clearly the work of the Holy Spirit, but there are some issues with how it is imperfectly presented.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Presto Kensho wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:09 pm The two most impressive things about the Urantia Book are its sheer scope, in the amount of concepts it covers, as well as its internal consistency, that the book doesn't contradict itself in communicating these vast concepts.
Lack of contradictions & a solid consistency is a bad sign for me. Any traditional teaching I have some notion about always has paradoxical, confusing & contradictory passages. Any teaching that requires only assent & belief without any effort on the part of the student is fostering an unthinking cult of dependent followers.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I mean, the modern version of the Srimad Bhagavatam, considered the most important work of mankind in the modern world by Vaishnavas, also has a small amount of parts to it which I can fully brush off as falsehood, but the original book has no falsities in it, it is presented as inerrant and perfect, only because chapters have been taken out and changed has this been so and that is why since it was once fully inerrant is it now still considered Perfect Scripture, as most of it is. The Urantia Book is impressive and contains great perfection as well, and it is clearly the labour of many individual Spiritual Ascendants, though I don't think it is Scripture because all Scripture must come from God in a certain way. There is a difference between God deciding to write a Spiritual Book by means of His servants for explanation and One for Eternal Guidance to maintain as Sacred Inerrant Word that is Infallible. If it is infallible it is Scripture, if it is not, it has been altered or is not Scripture, or isn't Scripture to begin with. I, however, am very impressed by what I see in the Urantia Book, and I don't think it's authors have come with an intent to spread falsehoods, but to Enlighten mankind, though there are problems with psychic channeling in Kali-Yuga where demons try to interfere, and that causes problems for those trying to create such marvelous works. I don't believe there is anything evil in this book though, as I trust you Presto Kensho. And I also trust Nicholas in His understanding of it as well.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Nicholas wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:22 pm Any traditional teaching I have some notion about always has paradoxical, confusing & contradictory passages.
There are definitely deep philosophical and theological concepts in the Urantia Book that require a great deal of thought and consideration.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I think the book covers such an insane amount of information that it is entirely forgiveable that there are some errors there and as we may know to continue with our Spiritual Life sometimes we use much Expedient Means to make things possible for us to continue on with, because it may be too difficult to press on if the entire truth is revealed fully at once. It seems like the Urantia Book is meant as a supplement to Scripture, like a Purport, that is all.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Brahma Das wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:44 pm I think the book covers such an insane amount of information that it is entirely forgiveable that there are some errors there and as we may know to continue with our Spiritual Life sometimes we use much Expedient Means to make things possible for us to continue on with, because it may be too difficult to press on if the entire truth is revealed fully at once. It seems like the Urantia Book is meant as a supplement to Scripture, like a Purport, that is all.
According to the Urantia Book, it is the revelation intended for our current epoch of history. It's up to the individual to decide whether or not it is true.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

If you are autistic and meticulous about detail like I am, it's comforting if there's a book out there that answers all the most important spiritual and philosophical questions.
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

I know Jesus very well, and this is why I say Purport and not Scripture:
21:4.3 Though these seven bestowals vary in the different sectors and universes, they always embrace the mortal-bestowal adventure. In the final bestowal a Creator Son appears as a member of one of the higher mortal races on some inhabited world, usually as a member of that racial group which contains the largest hereditary legacy of the Adamic stock which has previously been imported to upstep the physical status of the animal-origin peoples. Only once in his sevenfold career as a bestowal Son is a Paradise Michael born of woman as you have the record of the babe of Bethlehem. Only once does he live and die as a member of the lowest order of evolutionary will creatures.
-From the Urantia Book. 4. The Micheal Bestowals.

I know Jesus very well, and I know He has been crucified many, many times. Some new Christian preachers joyfully yammer on that He lived once and died once for us, but in Truth Jesus is Gautama Buddha, and to this day his work never ends, as He has said in the Bible "I never cease doing my Father's work day and night" and if you know in the Lotus Sutra Buddha has been around for eons of Kalpas, and the advanced understand Him, Meher Baba, Krishna, to be Jesus, and sadly He is suffering even in modern times, with a long time left to continue on in the Saha world, even past the Veil, God [Jesus] won't leave this cosmic manifestation till it's final Enlightenment.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

One thing interesting about the Urantia Book is that it does go into detail regarding Jesus' previous incarnations on this planet, including the Melchizedek of the Old Testament.